1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Won't Turn on, No POST Beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X_Gamer7, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I just bought and installed my Antec TruePower 330W power supply, and when I went to turn it on, the monitor wouldnt start up, and there were no POST beeps... The first thing I tried was my old PCI video card, but still no monitor, no beeps. Then I took and hooked up my old PSU to the motherboard and tried it...nothing. What do you think happened? I belive the motherboard is still covered under warranty, but I really dont want to have to take the time to RMA if I dont have to.
    Thanks,
    -X

2. n2gun

n2gun

Double check the wires to make sure you didn't dislodge one. Are the fans turning when you start it up?? If not check the wires from the switch. Also check to make sure the psu is set to 110 volt and turned on.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is there a 12V connector coming off the power supply? If so, is there a 12V connector on the motherboard? If so, is it plugged in?

4. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I am positive that the fans, hard drive, floppy drive, all of them start up. There is just no beeps and no monitor. I will check for the 12V connector, but I didnt need one for the last power supply I had. I just rechecked all the wires too. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    -X

5. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

no 12v connector on the motherboard....

6. ~Candy~

Start stripping down the system, hook it up outside the case with the bare minimums, if you can't get a post, I'd say the MOBO is MIA.

7. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Well, I bought the baord off ebay, I dont know if it is still under warranty. I hope it is. I will try stripping it down tomorrow. What bothers me is that it was working yesterday with the power supply that came with the case....

8. ~Candy~

Things happen. Trust me. I zapped a board myself a few weeks ago :(

9. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Well, i took the board out of my case, and put it on the antistatic bag that came with it. i plugged in the video card and the power supply. i turned it on, and the monitor still didnt turn on, and there were no post beeps. I believe that my board is shot. Now, I bought this board off ebay. It was brand new when I bought it. I have no receipt, but I do know that Asus has a 3 year motherboard warranty. The sticker is still on the motherboard. Will they give me "in store credit" for one of their new motherboards? Will they even accept it back?
    Thanks,
    -X

10. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You would be extremely lucky if they did

11. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Ok, so basically I am out $90 until I can get a new motherboard? Are you guys sure that there is no other way to test it to make sure its not just something that I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    -X

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Contact Asus and see if you can get an RMA number for the board. Have your S# handy and tell them it was a gift and you have no receipt. The S# will let them know when the board was made. If you get in touch with the right person and you are nice enough to them you might get an RMA number. It is worth a try.

13. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Well, I must still have the gift of gab. I talked to a tech, who said my board was dead. He then transferred me over to the RMA department where I talked to this nice lady that gave me an RMA number. I'll tell you guys how it goes once I get my board back. Do any of you happen to know how long RMA's take on average?
    Thanks,
    -X

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It worked huh? A little white lie never hurt anyone. If the board had been too old they would have caught it when you gave them the serial. I have never RMA'd anything to Asus. The only RMA I ever did was to Sony and it took about 2-3 weeks. It wasn't important or I would remember to the minute. It was a cdrom and my machine still worked without it.

15. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

This may be a silly question - but....
    Did the monitor power cable plug into the old power supply, and have you reconnected it or plugged it in elsewhere?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice