Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor won't wake from standby

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ima_Scared 
#1 ·
Hello,

Second time posting here. 1st time was successful :up:

The problem I've got now is that my monitor refuses to wake from standby mode anymore. Been running the system 24/7 for long time, in and out of standby, with no trouble, then it started as intermittent issue a couple of months ago and now appears to be perminently unable to wake up. I am forced to cold boot the power button on CPU and restart. I have checked power management settings - tried changing them - and still no go. The CPU will wake fine but the monitor stays in "power saving mode" (amber light on front panel). I've tried deleting the monitor in device manager and restarting but still no luck.

Any ideas? Could this possibly be a video driver issue?

Thanks

#2 ·
Forgot specs:

Gateway 700x
Gateway FPD1930 Monitor
XP SP2
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
Board: Intel Corporation D875PBZ AAC27087-207
1024 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
Creative SB Audigy 2

#3 ·
It's possible it is a Display Driver issue -- you can certainly try reinstalling or updating them.

Are you able to try a different monitor? The previous intermittancy of the problems suggests it might be a hardware issue with the monitor itself.

For what it's worth I usually just turn the montor off physically rather than use Standby on my desktop, which occasionally doesn't get along happily with my UPS software.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

No other monitor handy. That would be too easy :) I try turning the monitor off and just letting the CPU go to standby, but when I wake the CPU and turn the monitor back on, the monitor starts up for a sec and then it goes right to the power saving mode with the amber light on the monitor front panel..........black screen!

I may just have to try an updated driver for the card. There is a new one (91.31) from nVidia but a quick peek at some forums and appeared there were some issues with it so I have hesitated updating. May have to though.

Do you think it may be a BIOS issue?

Thanks again for the reply

#5 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by putting the "cpu" into standby independent of the monitor. If the computer is going into standby it takes the monitor with it.

I certainly would not do a BIOS update for this issue. Standby really isn't all that much of a power saver unless you have a very power hungry system anyway.

I would really try to get another monitor to test with if there is any possibilty of that.

As for display drivers, you are not locked into the latest ones -- Nvidia has older drivers available.

#6 ·
I miss spoke. Let me clarify. In the power management settings, I had always had the monitor set to "turn off" after 45 mins and system standy by after 1 hr. This had always worked well.

So, I don't know. Guess I'll try and find another monitor to test.

Thanks for your advice Rollin'. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.