1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ttyyaapp, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttyyaapp

ttyyaapp Thread Starter

I have a plug and play monitor and i have recently restarted all my system software and stuff. now I cannot change the settings in display control panel - settings - advanced - monitor as the properties option is greyed out. how do i change the refresh rate of my monitor enabling me to use my dvd software??

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- Though most monitors will work fine when installed as Plug N Play, or Default, some require an .inf file, like a driver, to be properly detected by make and model- the info that shows in the Device Manager. Most do not use separate drivers....
    What your problem may be is that you have not installed the video card or onboard chip"s set of drivers....you need this to enable the Screen Resolution, or desktop size, settings and the color depth, like 16-BIT, 32-BIT, 256, etc. If you know the make and model of the computer, post it here....if you know the same for your video, whether it is an onboard AGP chip or an added in PCI video card, post that as well, we can point you to the drivers.
    It may be on some of the CDs you have already. Here is a tool you can download called Belarc Advisor that may identify your video device so you can get drivers if you do not have them.
    www.belarc.com

You want to use the Free Download link at that page. Just download it to the desktop and 2click to install it. Tells you lots about your system. Post back what you have, you can also open the computer and read the tags or labels on the chip or card.
    Hint= look where the monitor plugs in....if it is on a card, you may have either an AGP card or PCI, the AGP slots are shorter and brown as opposed to PCI- white and slightly longer.
    If monitor plugs to the row of ports like keyboard, mouse, etc it is an onboard chip. Your system paperwork or computer support site would be able to tell you- usually, just search on the model of computer you have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice