1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitors & Flat Monitors & Monitor Size > DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JewisHeritage, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage Thread Starter

Over the last 6 months I purchased my teen son a Creative DVD Drive for his Compaq Presario as well as a Creative Audigy MP3+ Sound Card and the Creative/Cambridge DTT3500 6 Speaker Dolby 5.1 Sound System .... {the things kids get today ... you can send your donations to .....};) ... Anyway, he was the basic 15" Compaq Monitor that came with the system and of course he is now nagging me that this monitor "is a heap of crap & how do you expect me to enjoy all this great stuff you bought me with this tiny monitor when I am trying to watch Britney Spears Concerts ....." ..... So my question to you all is that, if I ever pay off Visa, and can purchase him a new monitor, I want to purchase the largest, best quality for the dollar monitor I can afford ($1.25):)
    What do you suggest? What is the scoop with the Flat Monitors he is driving me nuts with? How do LCD monitors measure up?
    Please keep in mind that my main concern is his viewing of DVD's, Music Video Files (Mpeg) that he downloads & the zillion games he has. According to the specs on his Presario (Model 5BW130) ... he has an Intel Celeron T 667MHz 66MHz Bus Speed, 64 RAM (yes I will double that to 128 via Crucial.Com ASAP), GRAPHICS=Intergrated Direct AGP Graphics - 64 bit hardware accelerated 3D graphics, Maxium non-interlaced resolution of up to 1600x1200 (when supported by monitor).

If you require any additional information please advice!

Thank you in advance for your time & effort!

A Broke Dad!:(

2. Chris A

Chris A

Tom's Hardware did a pretty good review of some flat screens. Tom's

3. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage Thread Starter

Chris A: Thank You for the link! ... much appreciated~

4. indutch

indutch

Go to your friendly neighborhood Gateway Store and ask to see a Destination computer. Ours has a 31 inch screen.

Your kid should be able to watch Britney with that! Prepare to pay more than $1.25, though. ;) A lot more!!

5. slipe

slipe

The flat screens are good for cutting glare when there is a light source you can’t control. A window behind the computer would be a good example. With a flat screen you can angle the monitor slightly and usually avoid the reflection. The curved screens act like the convex mirror on the right side of your car that picks up a much wider view of reflections.

I have the lighting under control in my computer room and can’t tell the difference when sitting in front of the screen. I got a second LG Studioworks 995E 19” for a two monitor setup. I originally bought it because it was PC Magazine’s editor’s choice for graphics in a review of about 40 monitors. The first one was $260 and the second cost $200. I see in Pricewatch they are down to $180. It is an excellent monitor for the price because I don’t have a lighting problem and can use the curved screen.

Sounds like the kid is going to feel shat on without a flat screen. They are probably best for most applications. When you get tired enough of the whining to spring for the bucks take the kid on a tour of some discount stores. Find a flat screen CRT that he likes on sale or clearance. Better yet, give him a max price and let him do the searching. If he picks it you will hear fewer complaints.

LCD is great if you have really deep pockets. Once you see the price tag on a large LCD monitor you will be able to find some fault with them if you look hard.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can we say 'how many lawns can be mowed' ????? :D :D

JH, can you adopt me? :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice