1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katydid959, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katydid959

katydid959 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8056 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (418 GB Free); E: 931 GB (929 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FDY5C
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have 2 monitors that are set up for this computer. LCD Monitors connected by what we thought were hdmi - but are not. The piece that is plugged in has a "button" to "unlock" the "teeth" from the monitor. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? I want to change the main monitor to an old Dell HDMI plugged monitor since the screen is bigger. I changed them out and the Dell turned on, the mouse worked over it but when I opened files, it opened on the other already attached monitor. I opened settings and asked it to detect the Dell monitor, it didn't detect anything.

It is my understanding that as long as the monitor is plugged directly into my computer with no adapters, there should be no problems. So, can you tell me how to make the larger monitor work?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably the newer DisplayPort is what was being used: https://www.google.ca/search?q=disp...9YPbAhWm2YMKHf4oCLcQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=734

Also if the mouse goes over to the other screen then it's already enabled and working but as an Extended Desktop, you just need to either set that monitor as the main monitor by right clicking on the desktop and going to Display Settings or by using the Intel Control Panel that is also available by right clicking on the desktop and choosing Graphics Options, then click on Display and then Multiple Displays.

katydid959 likes this.
  3. katydid959

katydid959 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I have the new monitor on and it is enabled. Monitor #2 is supposed to be Portrait so I can view documents. It was that way until I hooked up the old Dell. I went back to the HD Graphics Control Panel and went to the monitor #2. The Preview selection suggests I can change the view of the monitor from horizontal to vertical, but I don't see how or where to change that setting. Any ideas on how to change my #2 monitor to Portrait instead of landscape? I'm sure it's something simple (I did try the arrows on the keyboard) but I can't find it. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right click on the desktop and choose Graphics Options, then go to Rotation.

Monitor setup is not maintained if you swap out a monitor, you'll need to reconfigure it back to what you want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice