1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More burning, more problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cmcnally, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Now that my basic capacity questions are answered (here), I'm ready to move on to more advanced problems. :cool: So I'm now trying to burn a DVD with 22 files. The total size is about 3.7 gigs. Again, using an Iomega external DVD burner that shows up as LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1635 USB Device in my Device Manager. I'm using Phillips 4.7 GB 1-16x DVD-R discs, and I have both Iomega Hotburn Pro, and UltraISO installed for burning. My first attempt, I thought everything had gone fine and the drive even read the volume but couldn't play any of the files. When I looked at the DVD, I noticed it had a ring that went from the center to half way out. (See attached photo.) Thought that was odd since I figured the DVD had more info on it. Thinking it was just a one-time error I tried again. This time, instead of a solid ring, I got two concentric thin rings. (See attached photo) :eek: So how can I tell what the problem is? Is it hardware, the files I'm burning, or my discs?

Attached Files:

2. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

After visiting Iomega's support site, I think what I'm dealing with is a USB problem. Not sure if this thread still belongs here or in a USB forum. Symptoms include both the burning problems discussed above, as well as frequent crashes and freezes. It is particularly bad when I change DVDs or after burning a DVD. Windows becomes completely unresponsive and requires a manual shutdown. The Iomega support site suggests this is due to USB problems. From their site:

My Driver is listed as:

Intel(R) 82801/DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller - 24CD

Under that I have:

Intel(R) 82801/DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    Intel(R) 82801/DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    Intel(R) 82801/DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

and then:

4 Identical USB Root Hub listings.

The IRQ for all for Controllers is 11. Can anyone help me out here?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine why your USB would be an issue, looks to be a pretty standard Intel one to me. Have you loaded the latest motherboard drivers for your board?

4. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Hmm...haven't ever updated the driver myself, although this machine has been in the hands of Dell techs several times for a variety of reasons. Not sure exactly which driver that is. Would it be under system devices? How about on Dell's website? Is it one of the ones listed under Chipset?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, it would be the chipset drivers.

6. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Well, I updated the chipset drivers and I'm still having problems. No crashes yet, but I burned another dud, (similar to picture one above) and once I put a disc with data into the drive, it can't read any other disc, blank or with data. For instance, if I put another data disc in, it will autorun, and then when I open the folder to view files, it will be the same files as were on the previous disc. Then if I put in a blank disc and try to burn files, the Iomega HotBurn Pro software freezes on the "Reading and initializing disc" step. Not sure what the problem is here. I did buy this used from a friend and transport it via bus over several hours. But sometimes it works perfectly, so I tend to think there's a software conflict going on. Could it be too much burning software on my PC? I also have Roxio that came with the Dell machine, in addition to Iomega Pro and UltraISO.

7. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Been busy lately and this issue got moved to the back burner. It turns out that updating my Iomega Hotburn Software did away with most of the crashing and disc changing issues described above, but I still ended up with weird looking burns (see initial two pictures), even after lowering the burn speed to 12x. Also, even the updated version of Iomega completely screwed my auto launch and capacity to play DVD videos, which I'm pretty sure is unrelated to yet another DVD issue I've been having here. (That issue started before I ever installed Iomega software, and prompted this whole DVD burning project because I originally thought that my hard drive was too full.) So at this point, I've uninstalled all Iomega software and have yet to try burning with anything else. I'm about ready to give Nero another try, although I was unhappy with some side effects of the program before. Just wanted to give an update on the situation in case anyone else experiences anything similar. Of course, as always, suggestions welcome.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice