1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

more free space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wendytyo, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

how do i get more free space on my drive d i got this message

Problems & Suggestions
    Problem Disk free space is only 9% on drive D:.

i have windows xp and also windows98se in this system i would like to compleatle get rid of 98se but i do not know how.

2. mobo

mobo

How big is drive d?
    Have tou done a scandisk or error checking and defrag?

3. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

I dont know how big it is. where do i go find that out. i just ran virus scan and defrag said it didnt need to be done i dont think i have a scandisk on win xp ....at least i can't find it

4. Lahru

Lahru

Sounds like you are saying you have 2 partitions and 1 of these is your Win98se Part and that the other is XP? A little more information is needed ... is 98 on the C: drive and XP on the D: drive? I would suggest a 3rd party software like Partition magicif this is the case. If you can not get hold of a copy of this software then I would suggest backing up any sensitive data and reformatting the whole drive so that you can whipe out 98 and go with only XP.

However if XP is C: and 98 is D: then you can boot to XP right click my computer and choose Manage from the context menu this will open a console provided you have admin rights and there should be a selection for disk management there ... click this and then choose the drive with 98 on it and then right click to choose format.
    WARNINGFormatting whipes all data so ensure any sensitive data is backed up.
    It is not a good idea to fill your drive more than 80% full as the hard drive needs this space for things like Defrag tools and the virtual memory page files.

5. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

i ran scan disk and the only thing in there was my recycle bin

6. Tarq

Tarq

Wendy to remove the Windows 98SE operating system's previous files and free up some space go Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Cleanup and make sure that the Backup Files for Previous Operating System is checked and click OK. Hope that helps! :)

Tarq

7. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

i want to format and get rid of 98se but i dont know how and my printer wont work so i can't print a help sheet..i have quick restore disks not the win 98se disk i guess it built right in to the computer but i donot know how to get it off here

8. Lahru

Lahru

See my above post wendytyo

9. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

how can i tell witch is located where 98sec or d

10. Lahru

Lahru

look for a file called Boot.ini and post the contents here and I can tell you

11. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

The following Web sites have a comprehensive list of file extensions. You might be able to find information about this file type there:
    FILExt

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your boot.ini file is a hidden file; you will need to set explorer to view protected os files. Once it is viewable [it should be in the root of your boot drive most likely C] open it in notepad. Copy and past the contents into your next post.

13. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

how do i set explorer to do this

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Tools>folder options>view. Remove the checkmark from "hide os files" It will have a warning about doing this; it is ok you can put it back after you post your boot.ini file.

15. wendytyo

wendytyo Thread Starter

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice