1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More help with Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howard.a.s, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard.a.s

    howard.a.s Thread Starter

    Jul 22, 2005
    I posted some questions in this forum yesterday and received some very helpful advice. I now have a couple more questions that I hope you can help me with.

    If I buy a router (I currently run each of my PCs using its own individual Thomson Speedtouch modem), do I still need modems at all?

    If so, will my existing Speedtouch modems be O.K?

    Would I have to connect to the router with a modem from each PC, or just have one modem between router and phone connection?

    I read somewhere that I require an Ethernet modem, but I am not sure as to whether this is what I already have, or whether I need to buy a new one.

    presumably, should I get a wireless router, I can connect to it with a cable and it doen't mean that I have to have a wireless enabled PC. However, if I enable each PC for wireless using a internal card, or external unit, they will then all be recognised by the router, and connect to the net, even if they are in other locations around my home? Is that about correct?
  2. crEA-tEch


    Jul 2, 2003
    Wow! You're paying for two internet connections??


    What you need is an "ADSL Router" aka "ADSL modem router" (such as : http://www.misco.co.uk/applications...?EdpNo=255117&sourceid=2459&CAWELAID=84122271)

    the phoneline you connect into your usb speedtouch modem, you will contact into this router. you will get a cd with the router, follow all the steps on the cd (including entering your adsl username and password)

    you can then connect network cables from your router into both pcs, or choose to go wireless. you can be wired from one pc, and wireless with the other. both wired or both wireless, its up to you. (usb wireless adapters suhc as: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=240437)

    if you choose to go wireless you need wireless adapters, if you are not savvy with installing components into a pc, you can buy usb wireless adapters.

    hope that helped!
  3. Soundy


    Feb 17, 2006
    You don't need to replace your modem with a "router modem". A "router modem" is handy if you don't have a modem already, but not required. Any broadband router should work with your existing modem(s).

    In this case, you need only one router to go with one of your modems; both PCs then connect to that one router.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646896

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice