1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More Norton Ghost Questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bozz, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

I read through three pages of Norton Ghost posts. I have a couple of questions that I didn't find an answer to or missed it.

I have Norton Ghost 2002 installed with Win98SE.

1. Can I use cd-rw cd's to make a back-up? My cd burner writes cd-rw at 4x, so I know it would take longer to write. Using a formula I saw, I'll need five cd's to back up 5.74 gigs.

2. When I choose the destination....my cd-rom is drive-e, do I need to choose drive-f in the selections?....like when doing a Windows re-install from MS-DOS.

3. Are the options the same with both PC-Dos and MS-DOS floppies as far as allowing spanning to create multiple files since I'm backing up to cd's?

4. I made a PC-DOS floppy with all options selected. Tried it and the pc booted into Ghost like everything is okay. Should I also make an MS-DOS floppy? I have an AMD Athlon with an Asus K7V motherboard, 30 gig hard drive.

5. I don't have any partitions. Is it okay to un-install Ghost to reduce space?

2. raybro

raybro

My Ghost version is 2003, so I can't say for sure what differences may exist. But for what it's worth here goes my answers to your questions.

1. Yes, you can use CD-RW's for backup, but CD-R's are quicker.

2. I assume you meant drive E: is your CD-RW drive. In any event, when you go to select the destination drive, it will list the drive by brand name. Hard to miss. The shift in drive letters to which you refer results from craetion of a virtual drive. That does not happen when restoring a Ghost image.

3. I've never seen any difference between using PC-DOS and MS-DOS floppies.

4. Can't hurt to have both, but probably not necessary. I always make two of anything when I create a floppy. They are notorious for being easily damaged.

5. There are some operations you cannot perform from the floppy. Like Ghost explorer and cloning. Depends on what you have need for. If all you want is creating/checking/restoring backup images, the floppy alone will do the job.

3. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

Thanks. :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can clone a partition or a drive from the floppy boot, at least I've been able to do it numerous times.

5. slipe

slipe

Ghost works best with partitions. It is faster and easier so you are more likely to keep your image up to date.

Office Max has 30 Fuji CDRs for $2 this week. At prices like that which come up all the time it isn’t worth it to mess with RW. That is especially true if your burner is like many that burn CDR twice as fast as RW.

I would never trust just one floppy - when you use that ghost image you often really need it. PC-DOS didn’t work on an older computer I had where the MS-DOS floppy did. But if PC-DOS is working it should continue to do so on your computer.

How many CDs you will use is dependent on the content of your drive. Files like MP3 and JPG will not compress further where other things compress well. There isn’t an exact formula. You have to set it up for compression if you want that.

I can’t imagine why you would need to delete a 4.3Mb program on a computer with 5.74 Gigs on a 30Gig HD. It is inert unless you open it.

I have only restored from another drive although I keep CD backups. So I really don’t know whether it shifts the drive letters with a ramdisk like a boot floppy does. I presume your drive would be in the drop down list if there was a ghost CD inserted.

6. raybro

raybro

Johnwill.. Seems like I recall someone saying they could clone from the Ghost floppy in some previous thread (might have been you). Could you elaborate on how you do that? When I boot with my Ghost floppy, all I have available is create disk or partition image, check disk or partition image and restore disk or partition. Bare in mind I have the 2003 version (if that matters).

7. JohnWill

Boot the DOS version, Local, Disk, Disk, and you're cloning. :) It works with my GHOST 2003, as well as the GHOST version (slightly different) that comes with NSW Pro 2003.

8. raybro

raybro

Thanks johnwill. Booted into the floppy and there it was.... Right in front of my face.

All I can say is.... DUUUHHH :rolleyes:

9. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

I 've made my first backup with Ghost. I didn't use the options panel. I guess that was okay. I don't have any partitions. I deleted about 4 gigs of stuff I already had a backup for anyway. Ghost said the dump was successful. I see in explorer that there is two gigs of data between the two cds, which is the amount on my hard drive. So I'm guessing I did things right.

Made two backups, as was suggested. Two floppies, one cd-rw using the high compression and one cd-r with fast compression. Wasn't sure if it really mattered which compression to use, so I made one each.

Hopefully, I won't need to restore my system unless Windows or my hard drive crashes or I do something ig'nant, which has happened twice....lessons learned...of yeah. If it ain't broke...leave it alone.

If I need to do a restore, do I need to reformat or fdisk or does Ghost wipe the image before it dumps the backup to the hard drive. What happens at that point?

Also, after you make a backup, when you click quit, what needs to entered at the ghost prompt? I just shut the pc down with the power off switch, removed the boot floppy and re-started the pc.

10. JohnWill

Don't you hate it when that happens? :D

11. JohnWill

You appear to have done everything correctly. No shutdown needed, GHOST is running under a version of DOS, just hit the big red switch. :)

To restore, I'd make the partition, though I believe that's optional. You can also check the GHOST image by booting it and running a image test, a good idea if you're depending on the image.

12. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

Thanks...but I don't see how to run an image test for cd's.

13. buckaroo

buckaroo

14. JohnWill

I do verification for the images on my USB drives, I assume it's the same for CD images, do the verify and point to the CD for the image.

15. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

Okay..Stay with here.

When I try to check the cd images, I only see selections for the a:drive and the c:drive. I don't see a selection for the e:drive which is my cd-rom. I went through the Rad Guide. I copied the images to a temp folder and started the checks. This first file checked ok, but I get a message for the other three files as follows:

CDR00002.GHO is not a Norton Ghost 2002 file. Or is not the correct span segment. Task can not be completed.

Same message for the third and fourth file. I can see there is data on the cds. They total up to the same amount as my hard drive. 2 gigs.

What am I missing here? Can you check the integrity of cd images?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!