1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved More Old Computer Help Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blocking, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blocking

Blocking Thread Starter

So I am back, after I made my post that asked to help identify a computer, which turned out to be the IBM personal system 2 model 25. BUT NOW, i need help with the parts. We found out that the hard drive on the computer is busted, but we need to know the size. So i was wondering if somebody on this website could tell me all the types of measurements that the computer is compatible with. Please and thank you in advance!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am not even sure it had a actual storage drive a hard drive
    I think it used diskette drives
    However whether it did not, without wishing to be unhelpful, YOU are the person to find out
    Take the hard drive - that you think is in it out
    Measure it or even more likely if it does have one, the measurements will be on a label on the drive

Then look at where the drive fits and measuring there will give you the details you request - far quicker and with assured certainty than anyone on this site, except someone who happens for some reason still to have the manual for the computer or indeed the computer as a keepsake - both of which are extremely unlikely

On something of an aside note the answer to this is as given to you on the previous topic by my colleague lynx1021
    Unless you wish to get it working for sentimental reasons it is a waste of time, effort and money

I see now that on the article link that was sent to you on your previous topic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/2
    under storage, some did have a hard drive of a fashion -
    Close-up of unusual 72-pin MCA internal hard drive connector

That said, there is NO way anyone can know what is in YOUR IBM, as we have no way of knowing what modifications or non standard internal hardware has ben fitted.

I hope you realise that whilst we are always keen to help, there are certain queries, of which yours is one, that such information is very unlikely to come from members on here.

As I said, basically your best bet is to measure the hard drive etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. Blocking

Blocking Thread Starter

Hi, two things, A, this does have some sort of sentimental to me, and B it does have a hard drive as i have seen it.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. Macboatmaster

I see you have marked it solved, I do not quite understand why
    HOWEVER, you have with respect missed the important point and that is, a lot of these computers were years after they were introduced, adapted and we have NO way of knowing what is in the system, so as I said take it out and see what it says on the label etc.

If it is as shown on the link and as my colleague plodr has said, very unlikely you will find one, except perhaps on ebay or the like, as my other colleague has linked to and whilst you say IT is of sentimental value - and I appreciate that, what do you envisage doing with a 30MB drive.

My colleague lynx1021 who has given you the same link as I sent and was sent to you on the previous topic has provided you with another possible solution
    I think he means
    Take a picture of the drive - and then attach the image on the upload a file button on your reply. That will help us ensure the drive is as we think it is, but as I said we have no way of knowing what drive is in it.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. lynx1021

lynx1021

I think I read where you have to boot that thing with a floppy and then it will ask you what operating system and then go to the hard drive. Good luck finding a boot floppy.

8. Macboatmaster

Good point, I would not have thought of that, I seem to remember now that you are right and because they were originally designed to work just with floppies
    it never actually booted from the drive.
    - the floppie storage case with the lock on the front - memories

I just wonder if apart from the desire to see it work for sentimental reasons, it is realised just how limited such a system is as I mentioned briefly on my last post

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice