1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MORE PROBLEMS after "trojans, unsure re programmes, hosts file, etc etc"

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dandelion, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dandelion

dandelion Thread Starter

Hi

As part of the other thread "trojans, unsure which programmes best, hosts is empty and can't delete it, etc etc", I restored Checkpoint 1 and applied advice, especially correcting of taskmon after being wrongly told to remove it. Now, despite my system being more tweaked than it's ever been, e.g. cookies and ActiveX blocked or on 'prompt', and despite running Avast, TrojanHunter, and installed the Hosts and IE files as advised, etc etc etc etc, all as described in the other thread, am getting all kinds of odd errors, yet no program I'm running is reporting any virus present now (Spybot earlier on found Alexa).

The Epson CX3200 printer software is now properly installed [kept seizing up when trying to pick up the printer hardware/settings], the hardware's properly set up, but nothing ... status monitor won't connect/show ink levels, and therefore won't sodding well print; and I go onto Epson site and every time the self-diagnostics is freezing at different times; various times other web pages seizing up and also again time errors on the taskbar clock. (Have already tried removing the ActiveX blocks etc, as the site wouldn't run without them.)

Can I please ask for advice on this? No problems with printer until today. I've already removed and reinstalled at least twice the software. There are no lights flashing on the printer itself. It's simply the status monitor that in both installation and in attempting to print that seems to not connect. I'm putting this in the security section as there are a number of odd errors happening that seem more virus-related. But I've never known a virus affect printing ... ?? Wondering also if clock changes and web page freezes are signs of a virus that can also affect printer ... ??

Cat

Having problems posting and editing, constantly asked to log in. Also problems with ZoneAlarm; every time reboot it's still not working. Realise will have to reinstall it; mentioning incase relevant.

2. dandelion

dandelion Thread Starter

Having a lot of problems posting and editing, constantly asked to log in, seizing up. Also problems with ZoneAlarm; every time reboot it's still not working. Realise will have to reinstall it; mentioning incase relevant.

Have emailed Epson, and done both Trend and Panda scans. Nothing came up from scans; waiting for Epson reply. No idea what is blocking the printer/computer communication. Can the various security tweaks cause this kind of problem? I'm going to try to reverse the tweaks anyway, but would really appreciate advice.

Cat

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice