1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More problems installing RAm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamstaldy, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I have a Packard Bell Legend Supreme 1910 with a pentium 233Mhz processor and 32M of RAM. I went to oempcworld.com to buy some RAM. At the website it said that my computer would support 128M of RAM divided into two 64M sticks. I purchased the RAM they recommended, 64M PC66. I installed the 2 64M sticks and started my computer. The computer only saw 32M. I tried just one 64M stick and the computer saw 16M. I now have the original 32M in one slot and one of the new 64M in the other slot. The computer now sees 48M. Any idea why my computer is not seeing my RAM?

2. Rockn

Rockn

3. brianF

brianF

4. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I was playing around with a computer made in 1995 that took a type of ram that is called SIMM. When we upgraded the RAM it said we had half of what we put in. I seem to remember the Ram in the machine when we go it was classed as ECC and the other Ram we had on hand was FD? or something like that. Anyway if you have SiSandra or some program that will tell you the MB count and the type you can compare the three letters. After we put the same type in it worked just fine. Hope this helps. I have been getting all my RAM needs from CRUCIAL.COM they deliver the goods. Marturo

5. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I went to crucial.com and they gave me the same specs as oempcworld.com 64MB, 168pin, SDRAM, DIMM, 8Mx64, nonECC, 3.3V, PC66, 66Mhz, CAS 2. The Yahoo site said that most Packard Bells don't accept regular PC66 RAM and will only read 1/4 of the memory of regular PC66 RAM. This appears to be what is happening. I sent an email to oempcworld to find if they have any input into the matter. I've tried the Packard Bell web site (lol) I've registered twice under two different names and I still can't login to post a question. Thank you all for your input.

6. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Haven't heard anything back from oempcworld.com. I will just return their RAM and try the Yahoo suggestion. I'm thinking about building a new system, any sugestions on good links to get info on building a computer? I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

7. WarC

WarC

try the guys at Alienware...they aren't dreadfully expensive, and you look less stupid to the computer geek guys than if you bought a gateway or a dell...and the cases are cool as hell too.Alienware

If you feel like building your 'pooter, or you have a friend that is willing to do it, Pricewatch has some of the cheapest stuff you can find on the net.
    Pricewatch

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

lamstaldy
    Unless U have someone local to call on if you have problems , U shouldn't consider building a system on your own... not if you're a newbie.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice