1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More problems with Vista Recovery. (VAIO VGN-AR71E)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DMH247, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DMH247

DMH247 Thread Starter

Hi to all -

I've had a couple of problems crop up together here, each of which is making it difficult to resolve the other. I'm not particularly savvy with these things so I'll just try and be as straightforward as possible.

Specs:
    Sony VAIO VGN-AR71E
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 179453 MB, Free - 33904 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO, N/A, N/A
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Firstly, I've been getting Blue Screened as soon as Windows starts up, prompting an almost immediate restart - if I allow it to do that, it will simply do it again and again. It only comes up on screen very briefly before attempting to restart, so I've not been able to actually take a note of what it says. Any advice on where to find if these things are recorded (or something useful to look out for) would be a pretty useful start. Safe Mode is still functioning... okay, but I've been BSOD'd once or twice with that too.

I've gone through everything suggested on Sony's support page (it is unfortunately out of warranty so I've not got any direct support so far), the Hardware tests from the VAIO Recovery tool didn't show up any errors, although it did 'fail to complete' some of the video tests.

The last thing I have left to try (that I'm aware of) is to just start fresh. Because of this aforementioned failure to open Windows properly, I'm having to try and go through the process of making the Recovery Disks under Safe Mode. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but I'm receiving the following error message:

Cannot find the recovery drive. If you have not removed the recovery drive, restarting the system may resolve the issue.

Needless to say, restarting hasn't helped. I have read through the other threads on a similar issue, and all have suggested going through Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management and accessing the hidden 'Recovery Drive' there. When I try to do this, the list is empty.

I can't really get my head around what's causing what to happen, so any help about either figuring out the initial BSOD problem or getting the Recovery Disks sorted (if indeed that will help) would be great. It would be my preference to try and just get everything restored to factory and start again...

Many thanks.

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

1st get into safe mode and disable auto restart, if you want to read the message.. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm
    its usually just a driver issue, so a reinstall is the last resort!
    while in safe mode, go to device manager and see if there are any warning signs, click all the + signs and look for red or yellow warnings..
    post back with findings, the log files are kept in C:/windows/minidumps....i'm sure they are of use to some of these guys, but i don't know how to read them...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you done any driver updates recently? The fact pointing to "failed to complete video tests" shows that that is not only a possibility but one of the most likely reasons for BSOD. That and memory. Have you ever added any memory to the laptop?

4. DMH247

DMH247 Thread Starter

kenny - Thanks, I'll get to work on that today.

Rich-M - I've certainly not added memory, and I've not done anything to the drivers either, but it was given to me by a relative and it's not really been in great shape the whole time I've had it. I'll find out if they've had this happen before.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice