1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More RAM/New processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carbonterry, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carbonterry

carbonterry Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm running a P4, 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, XP, SP2 machine. Until now it has worked great. I use PhotoShop a lot for medium sized files (30mb or so). Now I have to make some images 80X40 inches @ 120 ppi. The files will be extremely graphic heavy.
    Any ideas?
    My task manager performance #'s are:
    Total 1174700
    Limit 5046396
    Peak 1948172

Thank you

2. Compiler

Compiler

Download PCwizard (link below) and post what kind of computer / motherboard you have. If your computer is a bit on the old side - you may not be able to simply replace the CPU. THis also includes WHAT kind of P4 you have... Adding another GB of RAM could help too... what kind of RAM do you have now? DDR1, DDR2, RD-RAM?

3. carbonterry

Thank you for your help.

Mainboard : Unspecified P4M800CE-8237
    Chipset : VIA P4M800CE
    Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
    Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (Microsoft Corporation)
    Hard Disk : Maxtor (164 GB)
    Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
    Monitor Type : 1996F - 16 inches
    Monitor Type : Unspecified
    Network Card : Linksys (Was: InProComm Inc) WMP11v4 802.11b PCI Card
    Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c

4. Compiler

Compiler

I used to load 30mb Photoshop files into a 166mhz CPU with 64mb of RAM... back then that stuff wasn't exactly cheap... ;)

Anyways... You're computer parts are several years old. Your PC is not worth upgrading and there is nothing to really upgrade. You should be able to add another GB of RAM... but being that its DDR1, it won't help all that much (P4 and DDR1 was never a good performance pair). YOu'll either have to live with what you have or buy a WHOLE new computer. I gather this is more business related, so stick with an XP box... or go with Vista and hope for the best (you may need to buy a new printer). A new off the shelf Vista (replaces XP... kinda) costs less than an XP pre-built system. Or build your own computer and buy XP (unless you have a retail version you can use).

- You're CPU, RAM, Video card (AGP), PATA, etc... are all outdated.

A new computer will have a larger HD (250GB at least) that is faster and quiet, dual core, more RAM and upgradable for faster/better video output.

Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...001A5F:&smid=3B76FBA7D327431B912BE012CEB13BA0

The above configured with an AMD x2 5000 (2.6Ghz = but 3-4 times more powerful than yours), 2GB of DDR2 800mhz, 250GB HD, DVD-RW drive, VistaBusiness Edition with XP recovery disc = $585 (I don't think its worth an extra $45 for an extra 200mhz).

Yet for $485 = 3.0Ghz AMD X2, 3GB of RAM, 320GB HD - Vista : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8830492&type=product&id=1207957307299

Vista really likes to have a lot more RAM than XP.... so 3-4 GB is recommended for you.

If you build your OWN computer... you can spend roughly $550~600 for a bit better PC with more RAM and DVI output.

5. carbonterry

You confirmed what I had suspected. My first file with a few graphics is already 115mb making the system pretty slow.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

6. carbonterry

Is it possible to still find XP? I have an XP upgrade disc for my current machine.

7. carbonterry

Just a thought...I would be willing to make a PayPal donation to whoever/whatever if someone would give me a complete list of all the components needed to make a great computer for using PhotoShop. (keep it simple...) I would prefer XP. I don't need a keyboard/mouse/monitor. I would think that NewEgg would be the place?
    I'll give my current machine to my newly adopted son.
    Please, let's confirm before any lists are made.
    I apologize if this offer may be in conflict with forum rules or, indeed, poor taste.

8. Compiler

Compiler

I provided a link to buy a Desktop with an XP Installation disc. Its under $600... but you are welcome to customize it more if you want.

If you want to dive into Vista, you can get a bit more "computer" at best buy (link provided), especially on weekends. Sometimes, for $600, it includes a LCD monitor.

You cannot use your upgrade disc... hmmm... maybe. If you have an old Win98 CD - you can use than ONLY on a computer you build. But also, your "upgrade" XP CD must be NEW enough to boot a newer computer.

If you don't have experince with building a PC... get the Lenovo computer. It have minimal junkware installed... and if you buy it, Vista business will be installed and you can TRY it out before you need to see if you need to murder it and install XP. You couldn't build a computer as cheap. The only thing I would say to ADD to a lenovo or most name-brand computers is a video card with DVI for large size LCD displays. (22" and larger) Which start at $30 nowadays (ATI 3450 card).

There are some good things in Vista. DRM isn't one of them. Eye candy is different (I'm working on a Dell notebook with Vista at this momeny) - but eye candy doesn't always mean more productivity.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice