More Raptor problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flowdrip

I'm trying to get (2) 37GB Raptors in a RAID 0 to put the OS on. I have tried to configure it in Computer Mgmnt/Storage, which shows that both are healthy drives. I then go into the BIOS and set it for RAID Enabled. At the POST screen it says there is an error on in the 74 GB RAID array. Open that up and only one of the 37 GB disks is present. Where did the other go? I've checked and rechecked all the cables, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what the problem is. Anybody have any guesses on this one?
PS They both show up in Device Mgr. as working properly.

restart from scratch. Delete the array in RAID setup. Exit RAID setup and reformat both drives. Don't build the array until both have been reformatted. Don't use the quick method of reformatting. Enter into RAID setup again and rebuild the array. Make sure the drives settings are automatic unless you know all the geeky stuff about your drives do not even attemp to manually set that information.

oh don't use the window software to build the array. Make sure you use the post screen setup. You can't configure it inside of Windows. Not the way you want it setup anyhow.

Flowdrip

Everything looked good, got the new RAID array, installed the OS, but when the computer reboots for the last time after all of Windows is installed, right after the POST screen, I get a BSOD that stays on the screen for maybe 1/10th of a second. It is n't on long enough to read, though I did make out the words "hard disk." I tried to tape it with my Camcorder and replay it on my TV in slow motion but it still isn't on long enough top read the error code. Any ideas what might be wrong now?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, you didn't hit F6 early in the install and load the RAID drivers from a floppy. You'll see the prompt at the bottom of the screen early in the install, and you only get a few seconds to react. You need the RAID drivers on a floppy, when you hit F6, close the floppy door.

If F6 was the actual issue, he wouldn't have been able to get it to finish installing windows at all on those drives as they wouldn't have been seen during the formating portion of the installation.

Think you need to get a set of better drivers for your RAID controller to use during the instalation ( F6 portion ) would be my guess.

Swiper

Are you able to get into windows via safe mode ??
do you have any other harddrives connected ??

Flowdrip

I hit F6 as soon as it showed up on the bottom of the screen, and I coulds see Windows load it up . I guess I'll try some different RAID drivers and see what is up.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, the formatting portion uses INT-13 calls and will complete with no drivers. The failure to load the RAID drivers will show up the first time Windows reboots during the installation. Obviously, the incorrect drivers will also fail.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
WD's RAID drivers would obviously be for WD hardware, since there are any number of RAID controllers, and they all require their own drivers.

BTW, that link is also bad. :)

john never mind that, it's early and i'm going to shut up until I drink a little coffee. Who makes your motherboard Flow?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online