1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More shopping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCG342, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCG342

PCG342 Banned Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm building a machine for a classmate [I ain't complaining, he pays p&s up front, I get $50] but its been a little while since I've been parts shopping. I've always been kinda leery of "off-brand" products. I know Asus is good, but, Does this seem safe?
    He's a little "slow" and insists on a dual-core Intel, yet he wants something cheap. :rolleyes: And I'll have a hot popsicle, please.
    Anyway... he basically wants the PC for music, movies, and web surfing. So, I was thinking this processor with that mobo, a decent gpu [64 - 128 meg AGP; something cheap but reliable] and a reasonably nice sound card. Oh, and a trustworthy PSU.
    Anywho. Thoughts on the mobo, and maybe a sound card suggestion? I've never actually bought one, myself....

2. Enbee

Enbee

just curious ..... if you want to save $$, why not go AMD instead and get more for the money?

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

That looks like a good motherboard. Should work fine with that processor. It's hard to go wrong with an Intel chipset. Hot popsicle--:D

I haven't experienced that Allendale Core 2 Duo. Can't say what the performance level of it is. I noticed that it has an 800 Mhz FSB, and I was under the impression that part of what made the Conroe so hot was it's 1066Mhz FSB. Either way, it should still smack down a Pentium D.

You'll need a PCI express x 16 video card if you add one.

Try the onboard sound before you get a sound card. Onboard sound has come a long way lately.

As far as trustworthy PSU's, I use Sparkle on non-gaming setups exclusively. The price is right, and they're ridiculously reliable. They don't offer gaming level supplies, but if you add a PCIe16 card at even 256MB, you won't need anymore than the 350W dual +12V.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Bang for buck, the Core 2 Duo is the way to go!

That board looks great, Intel chipset you can do no wrong so far.

Sound card, skip it! The onboard on that ASUS is at least as good as any cheap sound card you can add in.

PSU... How much do you want to spend.
    GFX card, same question.

5. PCG342

His request, not mine!

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The Core 2 Duo is the better CPU right now regardless... AMD saw its day, but for now its Intel again.

7. PCG342

Right, I'll skip the sound card; thanks for your patience, I've got to re-learn a lot... I'm on a 933 MHz PIII right now!

Telegramsam - Based on your statement about heating and the Conroe/Allendale processors, I shouldn't have too many cooling issues?

I'll keep you updated as I get things here. Thanks, folks. And seriously, Enbee, the kid's got money - lots of it. He only wants to spend $400-$500 at the most, though.

8. PCG342

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

I didn't mean hot as in temperature, I meant hot like Paris would say "that's hot".

Stock HSF's with the Intels are high quality and all you need.

I don't know about that power supply. Haven't heard anything about their reliability. That's a micro ATX--it only fits in certain cases. Stay with standard ATX. They're universal in mounting--probably save you a few bucks too.

The 20+4 pin connector is a good way to go though--it's compatible with ATX and ATX2.0. If you can find what you want with that (rather than 20 pin or 24 pin exclusively), you're good to go.

10. PCG342

Okay, then. And who the **** is Paris, and what's all the "that's hot" business??

11. replay

replay

yeah.......... "thats hot"

Attached Files:

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

There ya go. That's her.

Hot like--in demand hot

13. PCG342

Is she someone from TV or something?
    Edit: Oh, and she looks completely retarded. I don't mean that in a good way, if there is a good connotation for retarded. I mean "extra-chromosome" retarded. Seriously.

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

If you don't know who Paris Hilton is, you are...

A LUCKY MAN

She is a tard. To sum it up, she's a spoiled brat, silver-spoon billionaire heiress who has very few talents aside from a certain video tape that surfaced a few years ago...

15. PCG342

Okay, I've heard enough. And by the way, I'm just gonna find a good brand 250 gig HDD, as per the "client's" request, and slap that sucker in there - again, his explicit request. Same with RAM; no worries with those, or the CD/DVD drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice