1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved More sound problems in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Small20, Jan 4, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Small20

Small20 Guest Thread Starter

Now that I got my sound working at all, I'm having really bad quality problems. It sounds like I'm listening to a radio in a tunnel. I checked all the connections, tried all the options I know of, still not right :(. I'm running XP Professional, SoundBlaster Live with latest drivers, Athlon 1ghz, Boston Acoustic speakers (if that makes any difference).

2. Small20

Now that I've had the problem for a while, I've discovered a few quirks: it has no effect on Age of Empires 2, but it makes HalfLife so unbearable I need to turn off my speakers. Only sometimes does it disrupt Winamp, but sometimes when I'm scrolling with my mousewheel or click on something in Explorer it makes hissing noises.

3. Small20

Nobody seems to know what's wrong :( . Someone told me to download new EAX drivers for Unreal Tournament but that didn't do anything (particularly since I don't play Unreal). If I run Half-Life in Direct3d mode as opposed to OpenGL the quality is somewhat better but still not what I would consider acceptable. I know it's not a Half-Life incompatability problem because other people play it on XP.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Did you download and follow the install instructon for SBLiveXPDrvUpdate.exe
    Sound Blaster Live!/ Live! Value/ Live! 5.1 Windows XP Driver Update, Revision: Revision 2 Date: 11/29/01 Size:9.03MB

I also found this, from http://www.soundblaster.com/support/faq/welcome.asp?cat=15&scat=17&faqtype=2&prodfamily=3#faqstart:

Will I have some missing features?

Windows XP's native drivers do not support certain feature such as multi-speaker output, EAX effects, Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoding or additional functionality provided by Creative's own set of applications. In this case, you may wish to re-install the audio solution again to restore the missing features.

I tried re-installing but it seemed that Windows XP's native drivers couldn't be replaced with the set of drivers on my Installation CD. What should I do?

This happens because Windows XP has a driver version number that is newer than that in your Installation CD. In such a case, you need to force install the set of drivers in the CD. To do this, you need to Update Driver from the audio device property page. The steps are outlined above. Alternatively (recommended), you can download the latest Windows XP web update and install this update. In addition, depending on your product, you may choose to order the CD that contains the latest applications.

5. Small20

Yep, installed that. There doesn't seem to be any errors in the installation (aside from the fact that it doesn't work).

6. Ryan21

Ryan21

I use the sound blaster live on a similar opperating system. I have found that when I use the effects I get hissing noises whenever the PC is trying to proccess real time. This could be from moving data around, to scrolling with the mouse. I have been able to minimise this by not using the effects, except for listening pleasure. I know sometimes in older hard drives and such, you can actually hear the hard drive opperating through the speakers. Maybe these are related, kind of like the program is picking up the frequency of the data being proccessed within the PC and amplifying it. Just an alien far out guess.

7. Small20

I guess that's what it is, but I need a solution - just living with it is not an option, unfortunately.

8. Dan O

Dan O

The Sound Blaster instructions sounded like they would work. Have you contacted them directly about your problem?

Another option is to get a more generic sound card that works. At one time I would use nothing but Sound Blaster, but have switched to Yamaha and I am having no problems with any OS I run, which includes XP and Linux.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice