1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More SP2 Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mlsred, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlsred

mlsred Thread Starter

Hi

Hope someone can help. I have just installed SP2 on a XP Home laptop and now it wont boot. It goes through the start-up blue screens and reboots.

I can't start in safe mode or do anything. I have used the advice given by Microsoft to manually remove SP2 and that seemed to work but now although it goes a bit further into the boot it still blue screens.

The message on the blue screen is unreadable, flashes up so quickly then disappears..

Any advice would be appreciated as I have data on the laptop I don't want to lose.

Can I reinstall xp over the old version using the recovery console?

Thanks

2. physician

physician

Welcome to the forums

There is a feature on the install disk that allows you to repair the previous install without losing all your old data. Put the install disc in the Cd and reboot. It should detect the disk and give you a prompt to install by hitting any key - stay alert cuz it happens fast. When it asks you if you want to install new OS, select yes and it will scan your hard drive and tell you it has detected the old OS. It will give you some choices to reformat and reinstall or repair. OF course, you want to repair. Don't worry about erasing your data, the install disk will ask you many times before it erases your data...doc

3. mlsred

mlsred Thread Starter

Thanks for your help... :)

The restore did work and the data was safe.

I brought the laptop back up to the latest Microsoft update level and then tried to install SP2 again but exactly the same has happened..Continually rebooting & blue screening so I have to go through the whole restore process again.

Is there anything I can do about this do you think..?

It's just a standard hp laptop, reasonably new. I think it is a bit odd that it wont take the SP2 update or is this more common than I imagine :confused:

4. mlsred

mlsred Thread Starter

Hi All

Me Again.. I gave the laptop mentioned above to my mother in law who lives in Holland. I set it so that it wouldn't automatically download SP2 until I could find out what was making it crash..

Unfortunately after a recent problem she downloaded & installed SP2 herself and is now in the same position as I was, laptop starts to boot but keeps crashing..

I need to send her, by post, the instructions for manually removing SP2 but can't find them. The ones I can find look different than I remember..?

Could someone point me in the direction of the simplest instructions to remove SP2 using the recovery console...?

Thanks in advance
    MLS

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is a good summary of methods in a post in this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/t267260.html

The uninstall is easy, either from Add/Remove programs or by doing a System Restore IF you can start in Safe Mode.

If a Safe Mode start is not possible it becomes more problematic. Either an XP installation CD is needed to enable the "recovery console" or a set of 6 bootdisks must be downloaded which can be used to access the recovery console by selecting "r" when the setup screen is reached.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

6. mlsred

mlsred Thread Starter

Thanks for the message ;)

The laptop wont boot in safe mode, it wont boot at all..

I am a bit worried about my mother in law editing the registry as described on the recovery console option to remove SP2...I wont be ther to help her..

If she does the other steps i.e. everything apart from editing the registry, but then uses the XP CD to run a repair on the installation will that do the same? I mean will that restore/repair the operating system to a stable state without having to edit the registry?

Cheers
    Michael

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That could be a bit tricky for her. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does there might be another option.

At that point it should be possible to select the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option from the f8 boot menu.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Once there you can do a "System Restore" by entering:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

In fact I don't think it would even be necessary to restart to a command prompt. Since the Task Manager > File > New Task menu is supposed to be available, the above command can be entered directly there.

I would recommend doing a System Restore after the recovery console procedure anyway.

I would only try the "repair" as a last resort since that might remove all updates following the original installation -- then they would have to be installed again.

8. natcom

natcom

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice