1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

more than 1 admin profile?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by robpa, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robpa

robpa Thread Starter

hi, today i strted cleaning my pc from trojans. so i had to go to safemode to clean proper (still far from it :( ). okay so i start in safe and i notice there are 2 admins. HP_Admin and just admin. okay was fine, was puzzeld as to why but okay. i made a new admin account and deleated them both. well my pc shuts down on its own.(has been doing it since i got trojan.) and i start up in safe mode to run another scan, and to my surprise there is yet another admin profile. now my quetion is. does windowsXP make a defult admin profile for safemode? and why can i not see it out of safemode. I tried to got to user accounts to deleat it and it is no there. i can only see it at the choose user profile in safemode bootup.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well that is just a security reason.
    You can access the account from a normal boot by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL twice.

Microsoft will not allow you to delete the default Administrator account but you can change the user name and password to it.

3. robpa

robpa Thread Starter

yes i am aware that there is a default admin. but i named it main. deleated all other admin profiles. and now there is a new admin profile named Administrator. shouldnt there only be ther one i made? named main with all admin rights?

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Now the one you named "main" was it previously named "Administrator"?

5. robpa

robpa Thread Starter

yes it was. i changed name to main myself, gave it full admin rights. deleated all other admin profiles. yet another administrator profile has been created, and i cant deleat this one.

6. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

So this account "main" was created as a limited user then given full administrative rights?

7. robpa

robpa Thread Starter

it was created as full admin. i just changed the name. name main: Computer administerator. i am looking at the usser account now in normal boot , and i have main and guest. guest is turned off.......

now i am in safemode and there is main, and administrator. i have never had this issue b4, and i am just worried i that the bad package i downloaded is the cause of this. i just think its strange that i can not see or deleat the admin profile in my main admin profile.

8. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I don't that package has anything to do with this. It looks like you created the account Main during Windows Installation or something. The other "Administrator" appears to be the default account that comes with every computer using windows xp. You can login to this account using a normal boot and pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL twice and enter the username of administrator with no password and it should take you straight to the account.

There is no proper way of removing this account but you can use a password on this account so no one else can use it.

9. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Also, You should only be using an Administrative account for installation of applications/software or creating new user accounts.

As Microsoft states All users should use a limited account, that way if you do accidentally download a virus or something similar it won't have the "administrative rights" to do anything.

10. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

It is only common sense not to use an administrator account.

11. robpa

robpa Thread Starter

okay. ty for the helpful info :)(y)

12. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Your welcome.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice