1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

more than 4 GB RAM okay for 32 bit XP ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbuergel, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I have a multiple boot desktop system with Vista and 7 as 64 bit, and XP Pro as 32 bit, now with 4 GB of memory. So if I do a upgrade of the RAM to 8 GB will the 32 bit XP still boot okay, but not detect and use the full 8 GB like Vista and 7 64 bit will ? This is a 2009 store built desktop with a ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard.

2. dannyn

dannyn

It should boot fine, the max amount of ram any 32 - bit OS can support though is approx 4 gigs.

3. dai

dai

not much point unless you change to 64x

4. dannyn

dannyn

He is dual booting though and that OS is 64 bit.

5. dai

dai

missed that

6. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Does that also include Ubuntu Linux, ( I have Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 installed on that same hard drive, both are 32 bit) ? So my XP 32 bit will just not see or use any more memory than 4 GB, okay then.

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Having more than 4 gigs for the 64 bit to take advantage of will not effect the operation of 32 bit. 32 bit will only read memory up till it's max. Usually 3.2-3.4 gigs.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes.
    Having more than any OS can use will not affect that OS (except Win 9x based ones)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice