1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More than 4 partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sinani201, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sinani201

Sinani201 Thread Starter

I need to create a new partition for Ubuntu, but I have the maximum number of partitions. I have tried converting the disk to dynamic, but it says that there is not enough space available for that. What should I do? (The 75 gb unallocated space is where Ubuntu should go)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zh4flu.png

2. bbearren

bbearren

You can only have 4 Primary partitions. I have one Primary partition, and one Extended partition. In that Extended partition, I have 10 logical drives.

You could convert one of your primary partitions into an extended partition. I'm booting Windows 7 from a logical drive in an extended partition on this laptop.

3. Sinani201

Sinani201 Thread Starter

Can I convert to an extended partition using Disk Management, or will I have to use a separate tool? I can't find anything in Disk Management or diskpart that will let me convert a partition to extended, unless I'm missing something.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Use Disk Management and unallocate all free space.

Use Diskpart ,
    'create partition extended ' : this will use up all free space into one extended parition. Then you further subdivide the extended partition into logical partitions.

'create partition logical size=xxx ; xxx is in MB. Repeat this until you have used up all space in extended partition.

Then you can format each logical partition:
    'select partition #',
    'format'.

5. Sinani201

Sinani201 Thread Starter

I ran "create partition extended" but got this error:

Code:
    DISKPART> create partition extended

No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient
    free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify
    different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the
    maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk
    partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no
    more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended
    partition, (only logical drives may be created).

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Does Disk Management show that there is Free Space on the drive?

7. Sinani201

Sinani201 Thread Starter

There is 75GB unallocated space on my hard drive for ubuntu, and the screenshot in my OP reports that all of the partitions has at least 168MB of free space (check the Free Space column at the top of the screenshot). Unless you meant something else?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

well, just try putting in the Ubuntu disk and see if can see the free space to use for install. If it can see that 75GB free space, then you should be good to go.

I use VirtualBox ( free vmware clone ) from Oracle. And I have Ubuntu running in it. Saves me from worrying what grub would do my disk.

9. Sinani201

Sinani201 Thread Starter

One of the reasons why I'm installing Ubuntu is because it's lighter on the battery. Installing it in VirtualBox would do just the opposite.

I'll try installing Ubuntu from the disk to see what will happen later.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice