1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

More than one modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gkm24, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkm24

gkm24 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Mar 27, 2004
    Is it possible to have 2 modems running at the same time on the same line? I have a wireless network but my house has lots of rooms so the connection is slow away from the router. I want to connect another modem into the phone line in my lounge so I can plug the rj45 cable into my laptop so that my wife can use it . Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    Regular dial-up: no, the second modem would not get a dial tone.

DSL: some people say no; I think it depends on the ISP; call them--you probably want to know how much it will cost if it is possible.
  3. doomwarriorx

Oct 24, 2005
  4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    The short answer is no. Either DSL or standard analog modems only run one to a phone line. You can connect two cable modems to a common cable, but you'll obviously have to have two cable Internet accounts at the ISP. I think I'd just run a wire to the other end of the house and have a wireless repeater, much easier. FWIW, that's how I rigged mine, this house is 90 feet long and 5000 sq/ft, and one wireless router at one end didn't get the job one. :)
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/407702