1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved More than one My Documents Folder on a network PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chile1, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chile1

chile1 Thread Starter

2 PC's involved: Machine 1 running Win 10 Pro; Machine 2 Running Win 7 pro. Both on a Home Network.

I have shares established on both machines so that I can get to C:\users\username\My documents, downloads, pictures, music, (everything under the username) on either machine from the other, etc..

Now the issue: When I am on Machine 2 and navigate to c:\users\username on machine 1, I can see 2 My documents folders there - 1 can actually access and the other, which has a small curved arrow icon attached to the name of the folder, and which I cannot read (message says I don't have permission to open it, etc.). I don't have 2 My documents folder on machine 1, and the reverse of this scenario is not present when I am on machine 1 accessing the same c:\users\username folder on machine 1.

My objective is to get rid of the 2nd My documents folder when I am on machine 2 and accessing c:\users\username folder of machine 1. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. Sponsor

3. TonyB25

TonyB25

Looks like a shortcut.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

It is a junction point (and, yes, it does look like a shortcut), which is a protected operating system folder and is there to let older programs continue to work when they look for the "My Documents" folder in the pre-Vista location.

Whatever you did on one system to make it invisible may work on the other one.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Hide System Protected Files in Folder Settings will "fix" your problem.

6. chile1

chile1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have resolved the issue by simply deleting the folder with the curved icon attached to it from machine 2. For the moment at least this issue is considered to be resolved.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

That's not the correct solution, that's deleting a possibly required link for older programs to work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185477