1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

morpheus / kazaa switched on me?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kimmer13, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

I installed morpheus about 10 days ago. It puts a icon on the taskbar which used to say "Connecting to Morpheus community" (i thought?) when i'd hover over it. Now it says Kazaa. I didn't install kazaa, do you know what might've happened here?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Ok, i read the article at the link you supplied, and i follow - thanks much.
    Now a 2nd question, on the same pc, when I do a ctrl-alt-del one of the programs listed is "Watchdog". Do you know what that is?

(FYI, i'm trying to eliminate possible causes of a fatal exception in VXD NTKERN (01) 0028:C002E35F. Microsoft's only reference to it in their KB is to remove the sound card driver and reboot so it reinstalls. But we're still getting this error, and it freezes the pc entirely. )

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi kimmer13,
    Watchdog is an internet service associated with Compaq PC. You can uncheck it in start, run, type msconfig. Click on startup tab on top. Uncheck the watchdog. If you dont use compaqs internet services.

5. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Thanks TW56, I'll uncheck that one and keep plugging away at the others. The PC I'm looking at is a Compaq, just ***loaded*** with kids games, and all the demos they download. Now they have this fatal error, and it's kind of hard to know just where it's coming from. I'll be posting again, i'm sure!

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Your welcome! We will look for you!

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

8. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

DoyceJ, I'm trying to determine just that (when it started). This is a friend's PC, used primarily for their kids who got new games at xmas. The kids were trying to install them, and aren't sure if the error occured then, but they ran out of hd room. They asked me to add a 2nd hard drive which I did. Then they started moving games from their crowded C: to the new empty D:. They used Magic Mover to do this. They also downloaded Kazaa during this period. So I have a lot of variables here to go thru.

9. beach51

beach51

Hi Kimmer,I see the kids download Kazza.This program is full of spyware,and can cause all kinds of errors,and all kinds of problems.Go to msconfig,and see if you have some of the following programs listed there.

ezula main
    newnet
    savenow
    webhancer

These are some of the spyware componnets that kazza installs with there program,and they cause all kinds of problems.I would remove these and then go to add and remove programs in control panel and see if anything looks strange to you there.If you remove these spyware componnets the program will not work,just keep that in mind when the kids start hollering at you.:D There is a free program called Ad-aware5.6 that will scan your computer and remove the spyware.You can download it here.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

Once you download the program,also download the lastest signature file,and unpack it to the ad-aware folder.Now run the scan making sure all the boxes on the left side of the screen are checked.You will be surprise what this program finds.

let us know if this helps.

10. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Ok, I ran msconfig. Compared what it had to the list at pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm. Found ezula main,
    newnet,savenow,webhancer, kazaa and 4 others on that list that I unchecked.
    Then downloaded adaware & the updated list, installed and ran it. It found 38 more. Got rid of them. Went into control panel add/remove. It wouldn't remove kazaa as a file was missing, so I found the shortcut and its directory and deleted them manually. Which was difficult, because now in addition to my original fatal exception that started all this snooping, I can't open explorer or my computer. They give me "Explorer executed an invalid instruction in module CNBARIE.DLL at 0177:01a013b4."
    Plus I still have my original fatal exception happening sporadically, mostly when launching a program "Fatal exception... VXD NTKERN (01) .... 0028:C002E35F". (I have gone to Compaq's site and downloaded their current executable to update the ES1869 driver. This was Microsoft's only solution to this error. No change.)
    And then while doing some of the stuff above, at one point when I closed my window to return to the desktop, my wallpaper was changed!

Whatever game or program they downloaded or tried to install sure has wreaked havoc with this pc! Any ideas?

11. beach51

beach51

Ok lets try this.Go to Start>Shutdown>restart in ms-dos>at the c:\prompt type,

Scanreg /fix (hit the enter key)

Exit (hit the enter key)

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Dont you just love kids!!!!!!:D

12. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

you don't suspect a virus at this point?

13. beach51

beach51

14. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

beach51 - They have dial up internet and can't seem to stay on during the day for more than about 30 secs before having to re-connect. It is so frustrating, as I have cable, and I 'm spoiled! Anyway, they have Norton AV 2000, but w/o a decent connection can't do the LiveUpdate. They're going to try it later tonite and see if the ISP is more stable. Should we wait on the scanreg/fix until after the virus scan, or do it first? Thanks again for the help, these are my neighbors so we're going back and forth between houses to post , so your answers & ideas are very much appreciated. kimm

15. beach51

beach51

Ok,you can run Scanreg /Fix first.Then run the scan later.Running this command will fix the registry.One more thing,when you type this command make sure you type it just like i did with a space between the g and /.Also while your waiting to run the scan,try this,go back to add and remove programs,do you see anything called toptext,web3000?If so remove these also.Also try this,while your in add and remove programs,highlight IE and internet tools,click remove,the repair IE dialog box will appear,put a check in repair IE,click ok.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice