Morrowind Hates Me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fakquea

Ok, i've read through a few posts on problems with morrowind but don't think any of them match mine. If this has already been posted I'm sorry. I can play morrowind fine on my computer. It runs really well. But I can only play it for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time, as it will just return to the desktop. No error message just exits Morrowind and goes back to the desktop. Can any of you guys help me out? I've gotten so far in it I am actually looking forward to finding out what happens at the end.

Thanks guys

Martin.

Have you got the latest patch?
Have you updated all your drivers?
What OS are you running?
What are your PC specs?

alwrmc

B.L.
You might also post a screenshot of your msconfig startup. What is going on in the background.

Fakquea

I'm just running a fresh install of Morrowind. If you know of anywhere i can get a patch, that may help. My drivers havn't been updated in a while caus I always seem to stuff something up when I update them. I'm running Windows XP Professional. My PC specs are an AMD Sempron 2400+ running at 1.6Ghz, 256MB RAM, Geforce2 MX400. If you need any more info just ask me. Hopefully we can get this game running properly.

I gave up on Morrowind 2 years ago, I just could not get it to run.
It froze, crashed, didnt play etc etc. Every problem, you name it I had it.

It's best to uninstall exising graphics card drivers before installing new ones.

Fakquea

So just to clarify, i need to uninstall my Graphics Card Drivers, and Install the latest ones? Then try to run morrowind and tell you what happens??

Yes, uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones. Also install the latest patch for the game.

Is there any errors in the system and applications logs that occur at the same time that Morrowind kicks you out?

Fakquea

can you please explain how to get to and check the system and applications log. I'm currently looking for updated drivers for my geforce 2 MX-400 and an upgrade patch for morrowind.

click start > click control panel > click administrative tools > event viewer.
Look in application log and system log for errors.

Go here and get the 81.98 drivers.

Fakquea

I downloaded the 81.98 drivers, uninstalled my old ones and went to install the new ones, but it said the install file was corrupted. *Hides from huge desktop icons* I'm going to try and download it from a different mirror. I also installed the Morrowind Update Patch. On 2 files it said Old File Not found. But at the end it said Update was successful. Wasn't sure if you guys needed that info, but it may be helpful.

EDIT - Only just read the Driver Download and Install Tips. Used Leechget to download them. Trying again without.

Fakquea

OK. I installed the patch and updated my drivers. I tested morrowind and haven't had it crash yet. I won't get too excited yet, but if it happens again I'll let you guys know on this thread. Thanks for your help.

btw i know your problem has been fixed but, u MAY want 2 buy a new stick of ram, and add it to yer motherboard... 256mb is just not good enough if your running games nowaddays. perhaps getting a 512 and putting it in then u get your self 768mb of ram wich could help if it starts up again. but i dout it, as morrowind is kinda old and doesnt require that much ram, but... as ive said 256mb is just not enough anymore when u want 2 play games....

Fakquea

Yeah, I've been meaning to get more. I'm hoping for a 512, but will probably end up with another 256. I installed Bard's Tale, and boy, talk about not playable. :D been playing morrowind for a bit now and no app close, so i guess problem is fixed. thanx to all that contributed to the solution, and chances are you'll be hearing more from me, as my pc is a temperental thing ;p. thanks again guys (and girls)

Martin.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online

No members online now.