1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mosaic

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ianhtsg, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ianhtsg

ianhtsg Thread Starter

I am trying to make a basic Mosaic for the front of a football programme, have downloaded Faststone to get the pictures all reduced and it did that no problem.

Now I want to create the basic Mosaic about 6 wide and 10 down, I tried Mosaic Creator and couldnt get on with it , I could do each one manually, but was wondering if there is a quicker way? :confused:

2. slipe

slipe

You need a real image editor to make a mosaic unless your idea of a mosaic is to have rectangular pictures in rows. If you want different sizes and shapes of photos you need to have an image editor. And an image editor will let you feather edges and have some less dense.

You might start with this freeware – I think it will do everything you need although I haven’t worked with it much: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp

One that is more powerful but harder to use is Gimp for Windows. I know it has everything you need and it is also free: http://www.gimp.org/windows/

You want to make a new file sized 6 inches wide by 10 inches tall at 300 PPI and RGB color. Most local printers not working with major magazines and such expect the output in RGB.

It might not have been a great idea to downsize the photos before knowing exactly how large they had to be. Something that would be 3 inches tall in the mosaic should be at least 900 pixels high to start with. I prefer having them a little large and downsizing them in the mosaic with the transform tool. I trust you still have the unaltered originals.

You want to shape the images before dragging them into the new file. There are tools for making regular shapes like ovals and you can use one of the selection tools like a lasso to make a custom shape. With most editors you select the part you want, invert and hit the delete key.

You also want to do any feathering before you drag it into the mosaic. Feathering softens the edges so the images seem to merge rather than have sharp edges. Some image editors let you vary the feathering in the mosaic but it is easier to feather first. Images don't have to perfectly fit together. One goes over the other and they merge fine even if they aren't exact corresponding shapes like tiles.

Once you get the image the way you want it just drag it into the mosaic. You can resize individual images in the mosaic with a transform tool so they fit. You shouldn’t have to make any larger – start with the image large enough. Since each image remains in its own layer you can rearrange them to make everything fit together.

It is going to be a little frustrating as you have to know a little about image editing to take on a project like that and do it well. Just keep muddling and you will probably come out OK. If you are looking for a quick automated way to put a bunch of images in a program and tell it to make you a mosaic I have no clue what you could use.

3. thecoalman

thecoalman

I've seen Centarsia recommended for mosaic's many times but it seems to be discontinued as of May due to a patent infringement. If you look around you may find somewhere you can download it from.

4. hewee

hewee

5. slipe

slipe

This is the second thread where someone needed a real image editor and someone recommended the free version of PhotoFiltre. It appears you have to buy the Studio version to get basics like layers. I wouldn’t want to try making a mosaic (or most other things) without at least having layers. Am I misreading what the site is saying?

PhotoMosaic is a program like Mosaic Creator that ianhtsg already tried. It makes a single image out of thousands of tiny thumbnails. I don’t think that is his objective.

Centarsia looks as though it would work but it seems all of the downloads are removed. The download is less than 1Mb, so maybe someone who has it could e-mail it. Since it is shareware it probably expires after a month and there isn’t any way to activate it.

6. ianhtsg

ianhtsg Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all your replies, i will have a go and see if I can get a good Mosaic
    Thanks again

7. hewee

hewee

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice