1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Most compatible video card upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neduarte, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion a1020n running on
    519J Intel 4 processor,
    512MB pc2-3200 ddr2 sdram
    200gb ata HD

It's a very basic, bough out the store computer with nothing added to it. I purchased a Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB (no fan) card for it, worked fine for about 2 months, then the pc kept freezing at the xp loading screen. Once I removed the card, computer worked just fine. Could it be overeating? If so, what can I do to fix it?

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

You could return it as defective. All store bought products should be warrantied for a year either through the store or from the manufacturer of the product.

But it could be a corrupt driver. Have you tried uninstalling the ATI drivers and reinstalling them?

4. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

Instaled, uninstalled...everything...do you recommend any other card that might not give me a problem (if it's not a defect?)?

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

According to this:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...570&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=459880&lang=en

You don't have an AGP or PCI express slot. One thing that may have caused your original problem is the power supply not being capable of handling that video card. Since you indicated that removing the card made the system run fine again, it seems all the more likely that was the culprit.

I'd suggest getting a beefier PSU if you intend to use an add in card. And I think as far as PCI interface goes, that might be about as good a card as you'll want to spend for.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

7. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

What power supply would you recommend I upgrade to? Is it pretty basic to install? (does the "the same way you took it out, put it back in" principle work?

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

Looks like that's a regular ATX power supply.

You'll need to check your motherboard and see if the main connector is a 20 pin or 24 pin. You can count the wires going into it to determine which one you have without unplugging it.

They dont' give a power requirement specification for that video card. It would be a great mid-level gaming card, however.

I'd recommend 350-400W power supply. You'll need to stick with a quality manufactuerer--for cheap but reliable, I recommend Sparkle. Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103013

In fact, that's a 20+4 pin connector, which will work on either configuration. I'd recommend that power supply.

Installation is pretty easy, usually just four screws in the back of the case. Look closely, however, and take your time with disconnecting and reconnecting.

Two cautions---1) Be very careful not to disconnect the PSU and drop it into the case--you can imagine what dangers that poses...

2) Be very careful removing and replacing connectors. They can be sticky and tough to remove, and you need to apply pressure straight out and in. No wiggling up and down or back and forth.

Other than that, it's a matter of taking it out and putting it back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540020