Most recent Games Lockup Please help detailed Info Inside. My last resort.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Snake2715

First I want to say I am new to this forum and have been out of the computer building loop for a while it used to be so much simpler. Whatever knowledge I have I will gladly share with others.

My system was built around 2 years ago but should still run some of the games I am having trouble with no problem.

First its a home built system I built in early 2002 I have been having this same problem on and off but now I am tired of it, and frankly want to actually use this thing.

Games I am having problems with are Serious Sam (I know this isn’t a good example as it is a temperamental game as it is) Unreal2, Undying, and Runaway sometimes as well as others. Those are the most recent, and are the quickest I can get to lock up.

The lockup will occur at different parts but near the first 15 minutes to 45 minutes Runaway being the exception because I have played it for 5 hours before a lockup. Most the time the sound is stuck on one note. BUT once in a while the sound will have a small loop. I have to do soft reset at the case, as the keyboard is not responsive.

Specs I will be as thorough as I can here:

300 watt Codegen Power supply
Win 98
SYK7V Soyo Dragon Plus VIA KT266 ATX Motherboard
AMD Thunderbird 1.4 NOT OC'd
256MB PC2100 DDR Ram Also swapped for 512 of Spectek 2700
Thermaltake Volcano 6 CU+
Sony 24/10/40 CDR Drive
Generic Floppy
Maxtor 60 GB 7200 RPM Drive
PNY Geforce4 MX440 8xAGP 64MBDDR
SB PCI 512 also swapped for SB16 PCI
US Robotics V.92 56K modem (No Broadband available in my area)
USB Keyboard and Mouse converted to PS2 plugs. Swapped these for generic PS2 mouse and keyboard with no help.

Directx 9.b

As it stated I have tried to swap the memory out and also the sound and video cards out all individually and have had the same results.

Yes I did use Drivecleaner from Driverheaven to remove old drives and check my task manager/autoexec.bat to make sure they were removed. I didn’t do regedit though as I don’t know 100% how.

In the past I have reformatted and again to no avail that’s why I don’t think REGedit will help as it’s been a clean install and had problems. Currently I removed Quicken as it was running QWDLLS in my task manager and again it didn’t help my problem. I have also removed all traces of the modem, as I was afraid of something using multiple IRQ's. And that still might be the problem.

I had updated the sound drivers and Video Drivers again same problem currently I am running the original drivers from the CD.

I have updated windows. I HAVE NOT yet updated BIOS nor have I updated the VIA 4 in 1 drivers. But will do this if someone thinks it’s my problem.

I did move the sound card away from my AGP slot and it did get rid of some crackling but again same problem with lock ups.

I also bought a GPU fan for the video card and I thought it helped but again problem is persistent.

I have also moved the sound acceleration to 1 click below full and it didn’t help.

I have searched pages upon pages on this forum and others looking for my fix but haven’t found it yet.

I can run this computer for days on the net as I have done so before I removed the modem. It can run all day long in windows no problem. I load up a pretty demanding game and its time to reset.

I have also downloaded Memtest and my memory tests fine. I bought the 512 MB thinking that maybe it was running out of memory and again same problem. Although the board doesn’t show support for 2700 and that’s what the 512 MB is. I have been told it will be compatible. Just in case I am currently running the 256Mb stick that is PC2100.

My thoughts are this. I know that when I enter Bios at startup and look in the IRQ event it shows IRQ10 as being "reserved" but when I load windows it shows my SoundBlaster card being in both IRQ 5 and IRQ 10. I thought that maybe IRQ 10 was the DOS drivers for the soundcard, and uninstalled everything and reinstalled only the windows drivers but my system listing still shows IRQ5 and 10 taken for the sound card. I am afraid that maybe my CD Rom is on 10 if that’s possible? And that it’s conflicting with the SoundBlaster?

I have also considered trying to let Windows install its own drivers for either of the SoundBlaster cards and seeing if that works.

Sorry for the long post but I have really been trying to get somewhere and am willing to try almost anything within reason that wont permanently change my system. I mean I can flash BIOS if you feel its necessary, as I believe I can reset the BIOS with a jumper if it doesn’t solve my problem.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated as I am really out of ideas except to come to you guys/gals and ask for help.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to TSG! :)

I know how it is... I've been out of the loop for 5 years... lol :)

Anyways, multimedia devices tend to use the same IRQ (well at least with Windows XP and Windows 2000. It's been awhile since I used Windows 98) so don't be suprised to see the NIC, sound card and the graphics card sharing IRQ 15 (usually).

The only thing I can think of is that the CPU could be faulty to some extent, prehaps not getting enough cooling. Other than that it could be the motherboard, but then it would be more of a serious problem then just freezing.

If you could try to find a different power supply, it may be worth checking into...mightnot be enough power to run the system.

Does your motherboard have integrated audio? If it does, try running without a sound card installed, and use the onboard audio, then update the 4-in-1 drivers.

Might as well update the BIOS, it may provide increased support for the memory too

Snake2715

Yeah i just tried a new Antec Power supply and that didnt do it. I am in the process of reformatting and reinstalling the most up to date drivers (once each) and not replacing old with new jumping right to the newest drivers.

I am going to try this for a few more weekis but it may come to me buying another board i really hate to give up though.

Thanks and anybody else with suggestions?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
just out of interest is it just games? and are they all need 3D hardware acceleration?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I did have a problem where the drivers were the cause of the boot out.

does your motherboard have an onboard video?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online