1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

most windows updayes not installing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobol, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

Hello.... xp [oem] here; 2.2ghz; 512 ram
    need help I already checked MS for these related issues which seem to outline why I can't install most windows updates;
    namely my windows updates folder is totally empty including the important iuhist.xml file.
    The MS solution is supposed to be a cab file that extracts related files into system directories but those won't work.... there's one file iuctl.inf that won't install because it can't detect the presence of this file iuctl.dll [which is supposed to be installed by the former file?]

Here are articles I read at MS
    C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4\Iuhist.xml
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

Can anyone give other workarounds? thanks

This all started after my isp choked midway through a download of IE7[if i recall correctly], which I can't install AND IE6 now has no trace in the add/remove area too.... but I do have it running otherwise very normally.

2. Augie65

Augie65

You might try this program, it will fix most problems with windows update.
    Dial-a-fix

3. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

thanks, but no joy -didn't do the job sadly- it looks like a handy tool anyway :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice