1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mother board battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CD ROM, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Does the mother board battery that keeps the time affect the computer operation if it runs down?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Your computer may "forget" the time and date when it is turned off and also may revert to "default" BIOS (aka CMOS) settings. But, if the time is correct when you turn on your computer, the battery is doing its job.

If you are worried about it and the battery is two or more years old, you can replace it for under six dollars. It's an easy snap-in thing to do. The only problem you might run into would be if yours is one of those systems that, due to the way it is constructed internally, has made the battery difficult to access. Most are easy, though.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The default settings will almost certainly make your machine run slower as they are failsafe ones.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Good point; but, there are some (especially older) boards that had a 'fail-safe defaults' (safe and slow) and a 'performance defaults'. I haven't seen that differentation lately, though.

5. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Please look at this post " Imminent hard drive failure" . The battery question was related to this.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Hmmm...

There's no link.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

8. Koot

Koot

Question: Do the monitoring programs that read the VBAT voltage actually read the battery's voltage or does it read the voltage being supplied to that part of the motherboard by the power supply? In other words, could I have a weak CMOS battery yet still be getting a 3 volt reading from the monitoring readout simply because the PC is "On" and voltage is being supplied to that circuit by the power supply? Just curious because if I rarely turn off my PC (or only for a few minutes when I do) I'd never know the CMOS battery was weak and needed to be replaced.

My battery is 6-7 years old but the reading I get is 3+ volts. I rarely turn my PC off...and then only for a few minutes. I may have a very weak battery and just don't know it...

VBAT Battery 3.10 V

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice