1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mother board fried

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raym01, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raym01

raym01 Thread Starter

I inadvertantly fried my motherboard by plugging a usb device into a usb port upside down. (the little white piece had fallen out of the usb port which allows usb cables to plugged in only one way). My question is - if a motherboard shorts out does that mean that my processor, sound card, etc are also toast? I will replace just the motherboard if that is all that is bad, but if I have to replace the processor, sound card, etc then I might as well buy a new pc. Is there any way to test the processors and sound cards to see if they still work? Thanks for your help in advance.
    Ray

2. bigbear

bigbear

Is the machine still working?

3. raym01

raym01 Thread Starter

Yes, the power supply comes on, the harddrives spin, the fans all work including the cooling fan on the processor chip. I'm just assuming that the motherboard is bad because it can't even boot the bios screen. When I took the cover off, I noticed that the cord from the usb port had literally melted but I visually see no other damage.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

In this statement I ASSUME you are talking about the line from the motherboard USB header to the front panel ports. If so, have you disconnected that line from the motherboard header to see what happens?

5. raym01

raym01 Thread Starter

Yes, it is the line from the motherboard USB header to the front panel ports and I disconnected it and it still won't boot up.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Although this would appear to be a motherboard problem, I would start by having the power supply tested. The dead short on the board could have knocked out the +5v rail on the power supply.

7. raym01

raym01 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check that out!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice