1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mother board melt-down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ICON35, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

This time there were alot of swear words for my computer. After first thinking the problem was a virus ( with my simple backgroud in computers ) We need to reevaluate. The other day I was going to sit down to remedy the problem as instructed. Guess what?...... the f_____g thing wouldn't even turn on. Only two things turned on the fan and one of the cd drives. Oh, and the monitor was in sleep. Is this my mother board? If so is it easy to replace? And how do I kwow what to replace MS-6191 with? Can I upgrade to a better board?

2. norton850

norton850

Since I'm not sure what the original problem was it's hard to know what youmay have done to fix it. (eg take the cover off) and do something inside.

However, it's possible that something may just be loose. Check the video cable from your monitor to the video adapter outlet. If OK, take the cover off and make sure everything is firmly in its slot, especially the video card (if there is one) and the RAM sticks.

3. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

I'm sorry it has been so long "since you were so rapid to get to me". My job takes alot of hours. I finally got a Sunday off.

My computer would run just like normal for a while, times being variable. Maybe 5 minutes one time then 40 minutes the next, then it would just shut off, not shut down through Windows.
    What I began with was Norton System Works. I found a couple of viruses and did the best Norton could do with them.
    Today I did what you said to do, I opened it up and cleaned the video card, checked the RAM and video cards for their tightness. I also put the old video card in being I have a G-Force.

Now when I give it power all the computer does is the fans turn on and a CD drive. The monitor when power is on it stays in sleep.
    Is this enough information to start?

4. southernlady

southernlady

What you do is eliminate one problem at a time and take it slowly. Getting in a hurry is not going to get anywhere.

What I would do is unplug a piece of non-essential hardware at a time, like the CD-R, then the Floppy, til you get to JUST to the basics and if you have any special keyboard or mouse, swap them out for a standard one.

What you might want to do is read thru this thread for ideas: http://forums.techguy.org/t281362.html the guy named slingshotter is a professional tech and he is GOOD. You will notice that he tells the other guy to walk it slowly and to go step by step.

Actually if you go and do an advanced search on slingshotter's name you will see that he has done any number of those.

And if you have a extra computer to work with, even better. Liz

5. norton850

norton850

It's somewhat trial and error at this point. Your fans go on and the CD drive. Does your hard drive seem to be working? You could have a power supply problem.

6. southernlady

southernlady

Norton, that's a good question and if he unplugs the other non-essentials and it still won't power up then one I would swap out next, before assuming the motherboard or hard drive was bad. Liz

7. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

Okay, the drives that are functional for sure are;DVD,CD, and floppy. I don't know how to tell if the hard drive is. The indicator (dummy) light's wires for both the hard drive and the on light originate from the mother board.

8. norton850

norton850

I think next is to go with what southernlady suggests. Strip it down to barebones only. Just CPU/heatsink/fan, RAM (one stick if you have two), video card and monitor. If you still have problems try another power supply if you have one.

9. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

I have done what you said and still no video. In between our last transactions I have recieved some other free advice. I was told to hook up another monitor to computer. He thought it was that this was the problem. So I figured I could hook my monitor another computer. This message was just to let you know what I'm up to.

10. Arcadion

Arcadion

Have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard (cylinders that look like little batteries). The tops of the capacitors should be flat, they shouldn't be swollen or leaking any kind of fluid. If they have swollen up then the motherboard is dead and must be replaced, this is one possible cause of the symptoms you describe and is particularly common with MSI boards.

11. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

The monitor and cable are still good. I looked at the capacitors. I will say, there is nothing that stands out and nothing appears burned. I will take a closer look later this evening.

12. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

How do I know which mother board I have in my computer without it operating? Maybe I can find the origanal paper work.

13. ICON35

ICON35 Thread Starter

I made it back into my electronic mess. The capacitors seem fine, the ones I can see. But there was this plastic clip that was not, well ....clipped. It had something to do with my AMD Athlon processor and it's fan. So I felt it needed to be clipped so I did. Now it only comes on momentarily (1 to 2 seconds) then shuts off. What the hell did I do?

14. slingshotter

slingshotter

You just told us that you CLIPPED a plastic clip, and now you have another problem. Did this clip have any WIRES? What did you clip it to? What happens when you UN-clip it?

Try this; test it again WITHOUT making ANY changes, and make notes about what happened. THEN, UN-clip the plastic clip, and see if anything DIFFERENT happens, and let US know, so we can help you track this down. Good luck; we're all waiting for you to reply.

-- slingshotter

15. slingshotter

slingshotter

You mentioned that you installed an OLD videocard; it doesn't really matter if it is OLD or NEW, only that it is DIFFERENT. REMOVE the old card, and install the SAME card you had when the problem started, then test the system again.

-- slingshotter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice