1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mother board or RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catalytic, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catalytic

catalytic Thread Starter

System specs are Pentium 4, 1gb ram, Asus P4R800-VM motherboard.

Problem is I'm pretty sure the ram is dead or very slowly dying, constant program crashes, different stop errors such as 0x0000000a and 0x0000008e (win32k.sys).

Things I have tried are swapping RAM to different memory slots, cleaning the RAM, changing win32k.sys to win32k.old. Tested RAM with MemTest. The latter threw up about 8 errors in less than 5 minutes. Doing a little bit more searching around I'm wondering if its the motherboard that is failing. I have tested the hard drive, its fine no problems there. I have also done a fresh install of xp with sp2, and still having the same issues.

I have tried to create a disc with the microsoft windows memory diagnostic tool, I can't burn the iso every program throws up errors (burn at once tells me the iso is too small). Have tried extracting the files and burning to a blank cd, set boot option to my cd drive but it just wont work. :confused:

Are there any other diagnostic tools etc, that I can use to determine if its the memory slots failing of the RAM. The ram is DDR400 RAM 2 512 sticks, I have other ram but its PC2100 I did try testing with this but the computer wouldn't boot up with the PC2100. I would try putting the DDR400 on the other motherboard but that one wont support the DDR400.

What should I try next? At the moment I can't use any programs without having crashes or having to restart the computer. :mad: I'm not to keen on the idea of getting memory until I know for sure its not the motherboard.

2. Sponsor

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

A simple trick used all the time in your situation is to run your diagnostics with one RAM stick at a time. It is only remotely possible that two RAM sticks go bad at once.

Another trick would be to test the RAM in another system or to install RAM from another like system and run a test again in yours.

4. catalytic

catalytic Thread Starter

Ta, I'll try testing one stick at a time.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

With a bright light check the motherboard capacitors carefully for any signs of swelling or bulging tops or any leakage of a "brownish" looking fluid. The capacitors should be perfectly flat on top.

Failing capacitors will cause memory diagnostic programs to indicate defective memory when it is not actually defective.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795550