1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mother Board Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmcnally, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Last night I tried to replace the mother board on my Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop. I bought the replacement part from an Ebay store, and it is still under warranty (90 days). After taking apart my entire laptop and putting the whole thing back together--a job that took my friend and I three hours--we plugged it in for the moment of truth. The battery light came on, so far so good. Then we hit the power button and...nothing happened. Well almost nothing. The machine appeared to turn on. All three lights on the the bottom of the LCD went on, but that's it. The fan didn't start, the monitor didn't start. The hard drive light was on but didn't appear to be reading at all. (i.e. no blinking or noise.) I'm quite perplexed. Everything appeared to go back together perfectly with the possible exception of the diskette drive cable clip, which we weren't exactly sure whether to put back in over, under, or through the disk drive data cable. We eventually put it through. For instructions and pictures of the process, check out link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pblan/removing.htm

Everything else seemed to go back together seemlessly. We were very careful with screws and put all the right sizes back into their correct places. What could be causing this? Have I received a defective part? Are there any other explanations? I suppose a possible explanation is that the processor and/or video board are not quite connected correctly, but they seemed to fit perfectly and snap down firmly when we put it back together. Please help!

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Try reseating the memory and the processor, remove the hard drive and if there is a network\modem card remove that too. See if you can then get anything on the screen. You could have received a bad motherboard or possibly zapped it with static.

Anything like this happening?

Memory Light Codes
    The caps lock, scroll lock and num lock lights will display error codes in set patterns. A pattern of 5-1-2, where the lights flash in a series of five, then one, and and then two, or a pattern of 0-1-1, where all three lights initially come on, but the caps lock light goes off, are both indications of a memory error. Additional information regarding the 5-1-2 error code can be found here and information on the static 0-1-1 error code can be found here.

3. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Thanks, will try those steps. Actually, when we were putting the machine back together, we noticed that the modem cable had not been plugged into the modem, so we went ahead and plugged it in. Might mean something. A question about static: would we have seen or felt that happen? We were working on a wooden table and constandtly touching metal objects. Neither of us saw or felt any sparks during the process. Also how could we determine whether this had happened? It would seem odd to provide a warranty on a part that can be destroyed simply by touching it without knowing it happened and without a way to prove that this caused the damage.

4. junglejeff

junglejeff

I hope you documented the process with photos and if you did go back through the entire process & check all fittings. There are some that can be plugged in the wrong way. If that doesn't do it the second time around unplug all items not needed to power up, such as drives, modems etc. All you want is power up & see the screen. If that works plug one item back in at a time & power up after each item.

5. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Lurker1,

For some reason, I missed the second half of your post when I first read it. I think there may have been a problem with the links you referred to for more info, as I can't seem to get to the pages you mentioned. Could you repost the addresses?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

The links don't work as the text is just copied off the Dell website. Basically it says that the three lights can blink in a pattern that can be used for trouble shooting. If they arn't blinking in a pattern then theres no use going further that way. You can go to the Dell site yourself for more information.

7. pronute

pronute

8. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Hmmm... not sure quite what to make of the last post, pronute. Is there something I can learn from studying one fo the first computers in 1946? In other news, it seems reseating the processor did the trick, although I haven't been able to witness the results myself. Must have been in slightly wrong. The aforementioned diskette drive clip is also a possibility, since that was moved at the same time that the processor was reseated. Still haven't tried with the modem in yet, but will update when I get to that. As always, thanks for the help and suggestions.

9. pronute

pronute

sorry about that I posted to the wrong thread and that link is in my signiture not part of the oops post.

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes those processors can be touchy. On some of the older dell laptops the processors would work their way loose and fall off the system board.

11. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Ok, now posting from the refurbished laptop, with new mother board apparently functioning fine. Modem is in and working, and everything seems kosher. Follow-up question, are there any settings I shold adjust in the system BIOS? I had to adjust the time, but didn't touch anything else. For example, Windows reports that my hard drive is 18.6 GB, but the number in the BIOS was something like 20003 MB. Nothing seems to be causing any problems right now, but are there settings I should change that will give me better performance.

12. junglejeff

junglejeff

No, don't adjust anything and the difference on you hard drive is just a translation. Besides Dell doesn't let you adjust much in the bios anyway.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/292336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice