1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mother-in-law's Default Printer Changed to PDF

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mykidsdaddy, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My MIL printed her Avon invoice to a Quicken PDF printer??? And now she can't switch it back. I don't remember well enough to talk her through it and she needs it pretty bad:eek:. She's 80 and doesn't really understand what has happened and she lives a long way from here. Can someone give me a play by play to restore her HP Printer? In the control panel it shows two printers one is a PDF and the other is her HP. The HP shows "Not Ready". It has been too long for me and I don't have an XP machine here at the house to look at. I just thought I could have her delete the PDF printer but everytime she prints her Avon stuff, it will probably happen again. She says she has tried to print numerous things today and they just keep going to a queue.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Sponsor

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You go to start, control panel,printers and hardware, then printers and faxes,try deleting or disabling the pdf printer and enable the hp one and see if that works.in the add/remove see if the quicken printer is even listed and remove it from there if it is.or look in start, programs see if its listed and see if theres an uninstall feature to get rid of it.if its deleted or disabled it shouldnt be a problem again.

4. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

I disagree that you should delete the pdf printer. You may need it in the future:
    "
    “I want to convert my PST emails in a hard copy so how can this possible please suggest me.”
    You can export each mail message to become a pdf, but not the entire pst file. The way the the pst file works, is that it stores all of the data relevant to program and not just the emails. Also, calendar data is stored in the pst file so converting to pdf would not be an option. For a PDF option, you need to install a pdf printer as this is strictly software that converts what you want to print into a pdf instead of sending it to the printer."

You should leave the pdf printer on your computer for the reason listed above. You may want to print other documents into a pdf format. However, right clicking the printer you want to use will allow you to select the default printer option. You should be able to print after doing this.

I hope this works.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    All one needs to do is go to the Control panel, then Printers, there right click the printer that one wants to be the default, and set it to be Default printer.

When doing this, the system will on it own, remove the old default setting and make the new one.

By disabling and/or deleteing a printer device it may remove all drivers and files nneded to use said printer. Then It would have to be reinstalled.

6. mykidsdaddy

I spoke to her again and I am thinking, the default might not have been changed...I had her right click the HP and it is NOT offering her the option to "Set as Default" I had her right click the Quicken PDF printer and it DOES have that option.
    As I mentioned last night, the HP shows "Not Ready" on the screen that is displaying both printers.
    The HP offers Properties, Sharing, Work online with this printer and a couple of other but no set as default. So, could there be something in her queue causing her printer to not be ready or should I have her un-install the HP then re-install it...
    Thanks again, I know doing a "third hand" troubleshoot is difficult!

7. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

At this point, sounds like re-installing the drivers would not hurt. You might want to remove the printer, then re-install, that way you don't have other issues.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then have her select "Work online."

When she goes to print she will have the option to print to the PDF or the HP. That application may be defaulting to PDF, so she needs to check and select the HP.

I agree with the others to not delete the PDF printer if it is ever used. It's very useful, and is not the problem.

9. mykidsdaddy

thanks to all...I will be talking to her in a little while.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice