1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard 4gb+ Mapping Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoviceTechie, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Hi.. I have a m3n78 pro (asus). The box led me to believe it could support up to 8 gb of ram, but if I use a 32 bt OS, I won't get more than 3gb. So last night I upgrade to Win7 Pro (X64). I checked System info and it only reported 3 gb. I went into bios and found that bios was only detecting 3gb too. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I'm 100% sure the ram sticks I bought were 4gb total (2gb x2) - OCZ OCZ2G8004GK 4gb kit

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. NoviceTechie

I ran Memtest on both sticks and noticed it only detected 3gb also (3072 mb total on physical memory), which was definitely wrong.

I loaded each stick in, one by one, and was checking how much memory each stick had and I was surprised..

Apparently stick #1 of 2 was only at 1gb (reported exactly at 1024 mb). The other stick was perfect at 2048. The OCZ kit I bought was 4gb and each sticker label on each stick report 2gb, so I'm not sure what happened.

I thought maybe it was product mislabeling since the 1gb stick is detected by bios and memtest to be exactly 1024mb. Has anyone ever heard of a ram stick malfunctioning or being defective to display only half its capacity?

If the ram stick was faulty, shouldn't Memtest have detected it or given it errors? At the very least wouldn't BIOS have given a beep code indicating that the ram is faulty?

I've been using both of these ram sticks for over a year and haven't had any issues of data corruption or anything else. It makes me worry (slightly) to think the 1gb is malfunctioning and may harm my mobo or its components, but since memtest has passed it and the bios hasn't reported any errors, i'm still using it until OCZ replaces my current two sticks. Is that okay or does anyone see problems? I'd really like your opinions because if it takes up to two weeks to replace my two sticks, I'd prefer to just operate @ 1 stick rather than risk electrical issues..

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No one can give you an absolute answer however if you have been using it for a year that way, I would not worry about it.

Again, there is no definitive answer to your question, just opinions.

FWIW I am not a real fan of ocz memory; I like to stick with corsair, crucial or kingston. [Even though I do have one system here running ocz. It was sooo cheap I could not pass up the deal]

5. NoviceTechie

Me too, I've always used crucial or kingston myself, but this 4gb kit was rated 5/5 on newegg and was under 100 bucks. Was hard to pass up =/

In your opinion though, would you say its a case of product mislabeling or a truly defective unit? I thought about the possibility that it was a defective unit, but also hard to dismiss that it reports exactly 1024 mb in bios and on memtest. (seems too perfect a number to be defective, just imo)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely just mis-labled.
    When I bought the ocz ram in my kids computer, it was about 14 months ago and ddr2 1066 was about $49 for a 4gig kit after the mir.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice