1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard and AGP graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poggy, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

My motherboard is a gigabyte 71xe4 and has never caused me any problems with my old gfx card (voodoo3 pci). However i just bought a geforce2 64mb mx400 AGP card and now my pc won't start. I have ensured the card is in the slot correctly and have removed the voodoo. When i switch on i just get the 2-1 beeps (2 quick beeps followed shortly after by another). I assume the pc is believing there to not be a gfx card so how do i solve this?
    :confused:
    I am on the original BIOS (there is a prob with win 98 dos mode where the fan stops, there is an update to solve it but i never use dos so i dont see the point in risking my bios on an unnessecary update), will i have to finally update my bios to get it to work? Or is there some other way?

Thanks
    Will

2. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon

Hey. I to upgraded from a voodoo3 to a geforce 2 MX400.
    The beeps you hear are an indication that the graphics board is not correctly seated in the AGP slot. Are you certain its correctly seated?
    If so , what is the exact nature of your startup?

3. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

Yeah I'm sure...
    It won't go in any further.

Do I have to change anything under the bios in order to tell the computer to use the agp slot and not the pci slot for gfx??

When I startup I reconnect everything including the monitor cable and just switch on as normal, at no stage do I get a reaction from the monitor just the HD noises and the beeps...

4. brianF

brianF

Make sure you remove the old video card drivers and change over to std vga before removing old card.

Enter bios, under pnp/pci configuration tab select vga boot from agp.

pci/vga palette snoop disabled.

agp memory 64

5. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

okay, I will totally uninstall and delete all remnants of my voodoo and try to put the geforce back in.

let you know tomorrow how it goes

cheers
    Will

6. ETS

ETS

You won't be able to do anything in SETUP if you can't see video.
    Though I don't know what BIOS you have, the beep pattern you are getting is more commonly related to memory. In this case it could be the first module. You may have jostled it while changing video cards or it may have gone bad coincidentally. Try swapping your memory modules around or just replacing the 1st one.
    If it's not your memory then the next bet would be as Voodoomelon stated, the video card is not seated properly. Sometimes AGP cards are difficult to seat and need to be retried numerous times.
    Another thing you can do is put the PCI video card back in. If you get the same beeps then that points more directly toward a memory problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!