Motherboard and cpu compatibility

abikai

Hello,

I already have a 9th Gen i5 - 9400f CPU and have purchased a new board ASRock Z390 Pro4

After assembly, I turn on, the board starts but that's all. Screens don't show anything. I have tried different HDD, Video Cards and onboard graphics and all the same result.
I think the board and CPU are not compatible even though they both 1151 socket. Board is designed for 8th and 9th Gen CPU's

I have not had luck trying to work out searching online if compatibility issue.

If anyone can give a few tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

crjdriver

I have tried different HDD, Video Cards and onboard graphics and all the same result.
You can try onboard video until the cows come home; never going to work. The "F" series of processors do not have video.
There are two different 9400F processors and one is supported from the release bios and the other is supported from bios 4.00 and later. You would need to know exactly what stepping your processor uses. Once you ascertain exactly what processor is being used ie you need to either check the part# or pull the cooler off and read the part# Then troubleshooting can continue. Here is a link to the support page and you can check under cpu support to see which series is supported by which bios;
ASRock > Z390 Pro4

Asrock boards usually have a sticker on the board showing what bios the board shipped with SO it is easy to tell what bios you are running. If there is no sticker, Asrock CS can usually tell you what bios your board shipped with if you provide the serial# from the mb box.

Last edited:

abikai

Thanks for the reply, I will try to see what the stepping is on the processor. Appreciate the help

abikai

You can try onboard video until the cows come home; never going to work. The "F" series of processors do not have video.
There are two different 9400F processors and one is supported from the release bios and the other is supported from bios 4.00 and later. You would need to know exactly what stepping your processor uses. Once you ascertain exactly what processor is being used ie you need to either check the part# or pull the cooler off and read the part# Then troubleshooting can continue. Here is a link to the support page and you can check under cpu support to see which series is supported by which bios;
ASRock > Z390 Pro4

Asrock boards usually have a sticker on the board showing what bios the board shipped with SO it is easy to tell what bios you are running. If there is no sticker, Asrock CS can usually tell you what bios your board shipped with if you provide the serial# from the mb box.

CRJDRIVER-
Printed on Processor
Intel Core i5-9400f
SRF6M 2.90GHZ
X010C868

I think it is U0 but unable to tell if compatible with my board.

crjdriver

If it is the U0 stepping, you need bios 4.0 or later. Check your board carefully; you should see a sticker or label with a number on it. That will tell you what bios is on your board as shipped. If you really cannot find a label, call CS and give them the serial# from the box. IF you get a supervisor or upper level tech, they will know how to find the shipping bios. If you get the basic guy who answers the phone, you should ask for a sup.

Last edited:

abikai

It it is the U0 stepping, you need bios 4.0 or later. Check your board carefully; you should see a sticker or label with a number on it. That will tell you what bios is on your board as shipped. If you really cannot find a label, call CS and give them the serial# from the box. IF you get a supervisor or upper level tech, they will know how to find the shipping bios. If you get the basic guy who answers the phone, you should ask for a sup.
Not sure what I am looking for. Pic attached of sticker on box and processor.

Attachments

crjdriver

If you are looking for the bios ver, neither of of those pics. Here is a pic of the type of sticker used on an asrock board.

Attachments

crjdriver

Well you have your answer; the processor is supported SO there are really only two possibilities;
1 Your board is defective
2 You did not assemble something correctly OR you broke something while doing the build

Common errors for inexperienced builders;
1 The 8/12pin cpu/aux pw connector not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to the case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible. Since you checked, that does not seem to be a problem
5 Monitor connected to the motherboard onboard port when a real video card is installed

FWIW while it is possible to get a DOA board, I have done approx 500 builds and I have gotten exactly one bad motherboard. Even that one was probably OK when it left the factory however the outer box was damaged in shipping so [I think] that is what caused the problem.

crjdriver

You are not by chance attempting to use an old dell, hp, etc case are you?

abikai

You are not by chance attempting to use an old dell, hp, etc case are you?
No its not any of those, its just a standard case. the board I am upgrading from is also an ASRock.

I have built a few computers in the past, I have not had this trouble before.

Once fully assembled, I power on, there is no reaction to the monitor, power light comes on, HDD light flashes, then stops. I don't even see the ASRock initial start blurb or not able to enter board setup as there is nothing on screen. That is why I tried onboard graphics and also tried a plug in graphics card. So I am a bit stuck.
I even stripped back to complete basics, only had HDD plugged in (no CD drive), only keyboard, mouse and LAN plugged in. Have also tried 2 different HDD to rule out that as an issue.

FWIW, I know it is not the plug in graphics card as it is currently being used on my PC I am trying to upgrade from. its working fine.

I am going to have another go at it all tomorrow, I will try a real low quality graphics card just to see if I get a positive response... or any response for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online