1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard and Dual Channel memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yvese, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yvese

yvese Thread Starter

My questions are:

1. If I get a new motherboard and would like to keep my data on my hard drive without having to make back-ups and reformatting/reinstalling the OS, how would I do that?
    2. For Dual Channel memory, you have to put the memory on the same color memory slot, correct? And once you do that, is it listed as dual channel memory, or is there something in the BIOS or windows that I have to configure to enable dual-channel?

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For most systems installing memory of the same speed, timings, etc in the slots called for in your manual will result in having it run in dual channel.

Next it is possible to swap boards without a reinstall. Is this a pre-built system that came with xp installed or do you have a custom build that you installed the os yourself?

3. yvese

yvese Thread Starter

This is a custom build that I built myself. I'm switching from a 754 Mobo and proc to a 939.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then there should be no problem. Swapping boards with an oem copy of xp violates the eula. Here are the instructions. Note I made these for ide drives; this procedure most likely will not work on a drive connected to a sata controller. I have not tested sata.

Here is how to swap mb without a clean install OR a repair install. Note I have done this approx 25 times without failure, however there may be an instance where it would not work. Again the clean install is the best way to go.

To swap mb without reinstalling.

1 During this procedure DO NOT reboot, tell it later.

2 With the old board still installed, uninstall any software that is dependent on the old board. This would be things like onboard sound, nic, raid drivers, etc. While you are at it, uninstall anything you do not need or use.

3 Go to device manager and select ide ata / atapi controllers. Right click the primary and go to update driver. Have the wiz display a list of known drivers so you can choose. Choose standard ide controller. Repeat for the secondary. Note this is the most important part if you want the system to boot.

4 While in device manager, remove anything dependent on the old board such as usb controller, floppy controller, etc. If you miss one here, no big deal. The ide controller is the important one.

5 Disable [not uninstall] any anti-virus software so it does not load at boot.

6 Now shutdown and do the swap.

7 Once the system boots, it will load any native drivers it has. This would be things like floppy controller, usb controller, etc.

8 Now install your chipset / mb drivers; rebooting when prompted.

9 Install any other drivers that the os does not have native drivers for; onboard sound, nic, etc. Do this as necessary.

10 Reinstall your video driver last.

5. yvese

yvese Thread Starter

Thank you. I have one more question regarding memory:

If I install new memory with the current dual-channel, does the ram size have to be exactly the same for all the ram in the system? ie: 512mb or 1gb ( Note that I'm going to be getting the exact same brand )

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For amds yes.
    If you had an intel board, they can run ram of different sizes in dual channel mode.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice