1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard and Graphics Card Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soulix, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

Heya guys, Just a question on an update on my graphics card and Motherboard

Basically my Graphics card is rubbish, its NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE, it cant run gears of war on medium detail -.- nevermind Crysis :p
    Anyways, i wanna update my graphics card to a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS, But i cannot as my motherboard cannot hold PCI-E cards, which sucks.. I didnt choose any of the Components in my computer as i went to a store that i know really well, and said i wanted this ect, at that time i didnt really have a clue on What type off motherboard i wanted or Graphics card i wanted as i just wanted my own computer as i was driving me mum n dad nuts on the downstairs computer.

Now because The motherboard i have at the moment does not support PCI-E ports, im going to have to get a new motherboard that supports PCI-E Graphics cards x2 and 1 or 2 PCI Ports (for my wireless card) and then i want the GeForce 8800GTS card aswell to go along with the motherboard, but the question im really bugged about is, Can The RAM, CD/DVD drive, Power supply, Proccessor and Fans and all that, work with the Motherboard i get in the end?? The one im looking at the moment is "eVGA LGA775 ATX Motherboard 132-CK-NF79-A1, nForce 790i Ultra SLI Chipset, Supports Intel Core 2 Extreme/Quad /Duo CPUs, DDR3 2000" (link - http://www.directron.com/132cknf79a1.html)

The company i go to will get me the components cheaper, i just need to know the actual Motherboard, Graphics Card i want that will support the games im wanting to play and all the other components such as the Ram as listed above.. IF you have any idea's on a good motherboard or Graphics Card that will do me better than the ones i listed above and will support my other components, PLEASE i beg you to link them!! :D

Thanks for you time in reading my post, all comments are extremely appreciated!!!! :) :)

Soulix

-EDIT -- If you need the Serial codes for the other components im wanting to use in the motherboard, ill be glad to have a lil look-

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

We need to know more about the older hardware you plan to keep. Specifically, the new MOBO requires DDR3 RAM, I suspect your old PC does not have DDR 3 RAM. What CPU are you currently using? And what manufacturer and model is your existing power supply?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Suspect he doesn't have Ddr3, that's funny. A board that doesn't have a pci-express slot most likely doesn't have ddr2 either...most likely none of what you have will work except the hard drive and dvd drive but as asked we need to know your present motherboard.

4. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 [CD-ROM drive]

Packard Bell NEC 00000001
    System Serial Number: a123456789
    Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

I cannot find my Motherboard type.. ive been looking for like, 2hours now, ive looked through out my computer, ive looked in the bios, ive used software to try find the type also.. usually its on the start up menu, you know the one that shows all the data as it logs on.. doesnt come up on my computer for some reason.. if you can help me with that then ill have a lil look, and if not i guess im gonna have to take it apart and figre it out tomorrow.

Thanks again!

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If the P4 is a socket 775, you might be able to use it in a new board.

6. Ranmas83

Ranmas83

that Q can also depend on the manufactor you getting the Motherboard from... I enjoy using ASUS Products

and to find out what type of motherboard usually when you start the system the first screen where you have a chance to go into setup with the Delete botton ... well anyways that should be your Motherboard Name and the Model Number(usually in bright colored text) right there :)

7. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

Tryed it.. Cnt manage to find it :(

But ill try again i guess thanks for the advise so far!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

You may want to concentrate on some of the other components such as memory, processor, etc. if SIW doesn't identify the board.

On some of the manufacturer proprietary motherboards today, some ID utilities such as SIW, Everest, etc. will show for the motherboard name the name of the system manufacturer, not the actual board manufacturer.

10. Ranmas83

Ranmas83

well anyways you should really get new hardware anyways that way you have a 2nd computer as a backup for if anything does go bad. The equip for all that stuff isnt all that expensive. just do some research really quick make a average price and use that price for a range on decent equip that and ask the stores clerk on his opinion too if it will be a good product with the other products

11. cornman

cornman

There is no reason to get an 8800gts and a 790i if your not gonna upgrade your cpu. You might be better off just building a new computer from scratch.

12. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

Ok my motherboard is:
    Property Value
    Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    Chipset Model SiS648 CPU to PCI Bridge
    South Bridge SiS 963
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT
    Cpu Socket Socket 478
    Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
    Max CPU Speed 4000 MHz
    System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
    Memory Summary
    Location System board or motherboard
    Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
    Memory Slots 2
    Error Correction None
    Use System memory
    Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

But ye when i found out that only my power supply will work / Hardrive, i thought, i might aswell get a new computer, ill make this by myself, and get vista with it so i can play direct x 10 games.. But ill need some advise on the most recommended stuf.. i know how to build a comp, just the components i need, and i have plenty of money so just give some ideas on everything i need "motherboad, graphics card, Ram, Power supply...ect ect" and theni can use this computer as back up.

P.S that SIW is really helpful, thanks ever so much :D

13. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

OK i did some resarch.. Here is what i came up with..

CPU - Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q9450 (link http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm 2nd one down )

Motherboard - Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 (link http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX2/index.htm )

Power Supply - eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAP (link http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/528287/art/cooler-master/rp-600-pcap-extreme-power.html )

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Hard Drive - I can still use the one i have at the moment??

Ram - Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM (link - http://www.yanex-store.com/products.asp?partno=KVR667D2D4P5K2/4G )

Case - I havnt a clue on cases, link one if possible :) thanks

This averages out at about £600 - i have £400 At the moment, if i need to save for somthing better than that which will give me better quality, then dont worry, money aint a problem :)

If you can out match this, then please Gief some advice, Cheers!

Soulix

14. Ranmas83

Ranmas83

Hard Drive you can keep but you have to re install the OS as for Case you style really but remember to make sure your motherboard can fit in it :p i sorta forgot about it when i made mine and got everything ready to installl and went to put motherboard in and BAM idea struck that i couldnt fit it in :( .... i went and got bigger case to fit

Otherstuff looks good, as you build your computer youll know what you need when you ask the tech at the stores or whatever :) i hope everything goes well.

15. Soulix

Soulix Thread Starter

Reinstall the os?? o.o? Whats teh os.. bought the only thing i dont know what it is.

Oh and i read the Topic on building your own system, Well, The guy said that you need a good case that has good fans ect ect.. Was just wondering about that really.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!