1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard and new OS setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lex777, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lex777

lex777 Thread Starter

I just have installed new motherboard and CPU (and memory). I didn't format my hard disk drive before I installed the new motherboard. And I figured out that I must reinstall the Operating System. It seems like my floppy drive is not working so I have set BIOS to first boot with CD-ROM. I have tried to boot up the install program of Windows XP but it would give me "Disk Boot Failure" and wouldn't start the installation program. Is it because my hard drive is not formatted? How can I format my hard drive and how can I start the installation program??

2. Crylynx

Crylynx

I don't think it would have anything to do with formatting yet. XP will format after it loads it's prefiles. It will ask you to format. What operating system is on your harddrive now?

3. lex777

lex777 Thread Starter

My hard drive contains windows 2000. I know the install program will format the HDD before it installs the new OS. The problem is that system wouldn't recognize the Windows CD and to start the installation program.

4. Crylynx

Crylynx

Have you tried booting from your 2000. and formating with it then installing xp. Might have to reformat to ntfs

5. lex777

lex777 Thread Starter

Because of the upgrade of motherboard, Windows 2000 cannot start up. I t will give me some error message that invalid HDD device or something. And I called the ASUS technical support and the guy told me that I must reinstall the OS. But why is my system not recognizing the Windows setup CD? By the way it is one of those burned Windows XP cd. ;)

6. Crylynx

Crylynx

Not to sure on that I just reinstalled my xp and had cd boot up first and away it went. Couldn't get to my operating system either because of new board and cpu. You might have a bad cd.

7. DaveSS

DaveSS

That problem is not unheard off.

Try another bootable OS, then install XP over it. Should work

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since this is a new MB, I'd solve the CD booting problem first, since you want the CD to work anyway. There aren't that many things that can cause the CD not to be recognized. I'd start with just the CD connected and see if the system can find it. Do you see the CD being recognized during the BIOS POST?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice