1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard and power supply questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tiamakki, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tiamakki

tiamakki Thread Starter

the ASUS A7n8x-x motherboard , I was told was compatible for my system. My question is , when I looked it up on newegg.com, there were two....there is a ASUS A7n8x-x going for @ 74.99 and also a ASUS deluxe for about 118.99 , they both have nvidia nforce2 utra 400 + Mcp, is there a big difference between the two as far as perfomance? I also saw a ASUS A7v8x-x with a VIA chipset ( my comp ran a VIA before) and I just wanted to make sure that I can run a nvidia chipset.
    Also.... I looked into my power supply and it's a 250 W max. I am not sure what wattage max I can ,or should go to . Any help would be great. thanx
    Tia

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

what speed processor do you have?

3. tiamakki

tiamakki Thread Starter

I have a 1.67 GHz 2000+

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

oops, sorry, didn't read your sig... :)

im not sure a 250w ps will support that cpu, you can check by finding the 4 pin plug in a square shape at the end of one of those wires hanging out of the power supply.

p.s. you didn't need to start a new thread- you probably should have posted this on the other thread...

5. tiamakki

tiamakki Thread Starter

I was thinking about changing the power supply to 350 or 400....yes i did find the 4 pin plug.

6. tiamakki

tiamakki Thread Starter

sorry...i didnt know to keep writing on one thread....

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 250W ps would be marginal at best. NForce boards are picky about ram and ps. I would definitely upgrade the ps. Stick with a name brand such as Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax, or Sparkle. Stay away from foxconn, deer, allied ps; they are very cheap and cause many types of problems. If you want the “Best” bang for the buck, go with Enlight or Sparkle both are quality units that are not too expensive. I just checked newegg, they have an Enlight 360W for $36 and a 420W for $49 both with free shipping.

8. suesman

suesman

I totally agree to "NOT" skimp on the PSU. I'm running a Channel Well 425watt in this box & an Antec True 430 in my other machine. Not had a problem with either thus far.

I do have a PowMax 400watt collecting dust, because that's about all it's good for. It went bye-bye in a most horriffic way, taking my MB & CPU with it. Company support was "pathetic" at best. They actually did finally replace it, but not until I contacted the BBB ( Better Business Bureau ) over the whole deal.

9. imAmushroom

imAmushroom

The difference between the A7N8X-X and the A7N8X- DELUXE is...

DELUXE has:
    SATA support
    Dual LAN
    IEEE 1394 slots
    SoundStorm™ with the Dolby® Digital 5.1 encoder built in.
    Dual-Channel DDR400
    And a really cool start up that talks to you and lets you know everything is running right.

I would recommend the A7N8X not the A7N8X-X or the DELUXE
    The -X does not have "Dual-Channel DDR400" It significantly enhances overall system performance.
    The A7N8X has all the ports of the -X and is cheaper than the DELUXE

As for performance...They are the same (Except for the -X (no Dual-Channel DDR400)...you are just paying for the bells and whistles with the DELUXE (Though built in SATA is nice, and fast too)

10. imAmushroom

imAmushroom

Also as for the VIA Chip Set:

Good choice...if there was no such thing as Nvidia Chip Set (Nvidia runs faster and more stable)

11. rockinmale

rockinmale

I totally have to agree with the others. Dont buy a el' cheapo power supply. Sure you could buy a $20 400 watt PSU, but the quality and the performace just plain sucks. In order for these companies to make the psu's that cheap. They use cheap components, cut corners, and even though it says its a 400 watt. It may not even put out 400 watts. Plus these psu's love to prematurely fail and take hardware with it when it goes.

Just adding my two cents.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I fixed one for a guy about 6 months ago. The ps actually exploded [cap exploded] it took out the mb, processor, ram, sound card, and video card. To save $20 he bought a cheap ps; it ended up costing him close to $300 for parts.

13. rockinmale

rockinmale

Im with you crjdriver all the way. I had a similar experience just a few months ago. A relative of mine upgraded my father in law's computer without consulting me. Well to make a long story short.

A year later, My father in law said he was using the computer and he heard a couple of real loud pops like gunshots. Of course the system wouldnt turn on after that. He asked me to look at it. I found out the motherboard had blown capacitors on it. The power supply is another story in itself. I removed the cover and saw that the fuse literally blew up and everything around it was charred to a crisp. Of course when i looked at the label on the psu it said LG electronics. This psu took out the motherboard, memory, cpu, and the hard drive. It certainly was a $500 dollar expense that didnt need to happen.

I certainly have to say the motherboard and the PSU are the two main components when building a system. You absolutely DO NOT skimp on these.

As the saying goes you live and learn...
    Peace....:)

14. dogboy

dogboy

I read this all 1 week too late....
    In this esteemed forum, I feel a little like a Hyundai driver asking Mario Andretti's pit crew whether I need Nitro Boost or Turbcharging to drive downhill to the corner store at 15 mph!
    My apologies if this question is offensive in its naievite. If this post is inappropriate, please feel free to say so- I can handle it and I am new here.

Lets dial it down a bit first.
    I'm not a system builder and not a powergamer. There are no P4s here yet.... I guess you could say I'm cheap.
    I am a mild and careful computer hobbyist with no budget and lots of conflicting inputs from more serious computer hobbyists at work.

In order to get a GIFT flight simulator to work well ca. Y2k I bought a "gamers" Emachine- Piii/500 w/ 64M of ram, an ATI Rage 128 & a DVD burner. It has served well these last 3.8 years despite all of the flaming Ive read about Emachines shortcomings elsewhere. I knew enough from my computers at work (going back to an XT from a little known PC builder called IBM) that there should be lotsa open slots because everything is obsolete in 10-20 months.
    Last Fall, I finally cracked the case seal (!) & added a CDRW, 256 Mb memory and recently an 80Gb HDD. I also cleared the air entries, CPU cooling fins, etc of dustcrud at that time. I considered a new power supply when I thought about the possibility of a second hard drive, as the machine has an "ILSSAN" 120w unit that has a fan which doesn't always run right....
    So I got a POWMAX 230w unit N.I.B. for $20 +shipping yesterday because it was reasonably priced and had a ball bearing fan....and I was about to install it.... to be SAFE! This unit purports to be P4 certified on the box. (Remember that I'm running an inky-dinky P3/500 and think overclock is where you hang a painting....)

I got the impression from other sources that on "more typical" PCS (not overclocked, not homebuilt RAID stacks, etc) the primary cause of psu failures is the tendency to overload them with drive upgrades/addons and unnecessary extra fans, too many USB novelties, etc. and made a promise to myself to find and install a better psu before adding any more to my OEM 120w psu.

Ooops?

I like my motherboard and sisterprocessor. They have been good to me. I was buying them this new psu for Christmas to show my gratitude, not KILL THEM. Is the POWMAX 230w so poor and excuse that it actually carries a higher mobo risk than the factory ILSSAN 120w psu? I am in manufacturing and prefer statistics, but will take random data & experiences as next best.

Ultimately, I was planning to have this psu run the Piii/500 (NapoliII MoBo w/ onboard sound), 2HDDS, CDRW, DVDRW, AGP Video card, Pinnacle's AVDV+firewire card, PCI modem, Floppy, etc. I attempted to budget my power requirements but had to give up when I couldn't find the processor/Mobo power specs in english anywhere so I kept it down to 1HDD and 1CDRW, AGP VIDEO,Firewire card, etc. until I install a bigger psu.

I decided it was time to bite the bullet and give the unit a decent psu.... after my new HDD crapped out and I had the box open anyway. I figured there was an outside chance the psu was involved if not causal to the HDD demise, although the HDD never saw fan problems since I cleaned up the fan when I installed that (now defunct) new HDD & I reach back to check periodically (1-2x per session) that there is airflow from the fan.

Flame if you see fit, but what I really want is votes from those with data or knowledge as to whether to paint this new psu Gold and give it away for Christmas, or replace the old Ilssan with the POWMAX. I personally don't like the name Ilssan- like Papasan only ILL! But htis is actually a FACTUAL question.

I thope (think/hope) that my little system may be just fine with this power supply because it will be at 10-20% of max power most of the time and occasionally hit 50% or something like that.

I am also looking for input as to how to protect against the dreaded psu popping sounds frying my other computer internals should I choose to install the POWMAX and then that psu fails violently.

So were those statements about "4th of July" Power supplies coming from someone who "winged it" as far as power budgeting or is this POWMAX just a nasty product that shouldn't be installed or plugged in....?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is fine with me..... right up until the part where the smoke comes out.....!!!

THANKS

15. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

This is one more voice saying: 250W isn't nearly enough for your needs!

Rule of thumbs is: all your hardware requirement X 1.5 = minimum PSU rating.

You can get an idea from this site: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice