1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard appears to need replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katonca, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Here's my dilemma. Sister-in-laws' Pavilion Elite (2009) went to the blue screen of death. They took it back to the national change they bought it from. They told them that a controller on the MB was bad and that the MB needs to be replaced. She decided to just buy a different computer instead, so she gave it to me to play with.

I powered up the computer (went to blue screen). I was able to get into BIOS but since I know little of the inner workings of a computer this didn't do me any good (I was hoping for the restore screen but can't reach that).

Is there a way to know if the MB is bad and if so how?

Here are the specs on the machine. If I need to replace it what are your recommendations for a board that is comparable @ $100 or so?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01742903&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3970023#N329

I appreciate any help on this,
    Dave

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Post what's on the BSOD, especially any filename and/or STOP error code.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you plan to use the same OS and other hardware, you need to get the same board as a replacement. Otherwise, since the board is the computer, you will have a new machine and will have to reinstall Windows. If it is an OEM OS, you may not be able to use the old copy of Windows on it at all.

There are tests for the board that can't be done at home. You could bring it to a shop you trust and have them look at it.

5. BPCS

BPCS

There's plenty of trouble shooting you can try here. First thing I'd do is go to www.ultimatebootcd.com burn it and boot from the disc. If it boots test your HDD and your RAM. If they pass I'd say you have a driver/windows problem. The bsod code will help as well. Lets us know the results and we can narrow down the problem.

6. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll provide the requested info as soon as I reconnect the computer and get it going again.

Elvandil makes a good point here. From what I have seen a replacement for the original MB will cost more than what I had hoped to spend. On the other hand having to buy a different MB and new OS seems expensive as well.

I do remember that in BIOS, it said that "no boot device installed". Does this make any sense?

I'll get the machine powered up and see what's happening.

Thanks again.

7. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Let me revise what I meant as the BSoD. This screen has key options such as press esc to boot, F10 for set-up, F11 for...plus one other. Definitely not the BsoD with codes and such. My mistake

I turned the machine on and it went to the screen I mentioned. As I was writing down the key options from above, the blue screen went to black and said "detecting storage devices". It did this one other time and froze on this screen. I turned the computer off, waited a few minutes and powered back on. This time no screen appeared at all.

8. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Update: Turned on, went to black screen that said:

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

9. BPCS

BPCS

The MB doesn't see the HDD or it can't read the boot record from it. Go into bios and see if bios sees the HDD. You can still check the HDD and RAM by booting from the UBCD.

10. saikee

saikee

The simplest way to check if your PC is usable is to load an installation CD or DVD. If the installer communicate with you then the PC is in working order. That means try it with any Xp Vista or Windows 7 CD/DVD.

You do this by having a bootable medium and that is the CD.

What you have got is possibly a defective hard disk that cannot be read. Therefore the computer can boot up nothing and so it asks you give it something to boot to.

No need to check anything except to give it a bootable medium. In the old day people slip in a floppy and that is all it takes to prove the health of the computer.

You can download a Linux which is a free operating system that runs on a CD without touching your hard disk. It can also gives you a second opinion of what's wrong with your hard disk. If your hard disk can be read the Linux will let you read/write any of the file too as long as it is not a system related file (used only by MS Windows).

If the motherboard is no good then it would not communicate with you at all.

11. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

The situation with the computer turning on is hit and miss.

I turn it on and it

1) freezes at the screen with key options for boot menu, diagnosis, start-up, etc OR

2) freezes on screen "detecting storage devices" OR

3) freezes on screen "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" OR

4) my personal favorite....turn it on and it does nothing at all.

I've tapped F2, F10, F11, and tapped nothing at all and the comp basically does whatever it wants I guess

I've got a installation CD I'll get it a try and then check the HDD and RAM by booting from the UBCD

12. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

I put the instillation cd in and nothing shows at all on the screen.

13. saikee

saikee

katonca,

Every computer program (or most of them) is written by human so think a PC as a human.

If you have a dodgy hard disk that is not completely dead but with corrupted partition table and bad sectors the Bios, which is just a computer program will try to read it.

It is a standard that if something failss in accessing a hard disk the computer would be told to repeat the operation a fixed number of time. Each time the failure criterion may be different and so you could wait a long time just for the Bios to satisfy itself to declare its diagnostic. If you have a good and healthy hard disk then there would be no waiting at all.

If you want a faster response remove the hard disk. Your PC will be lightning fast if there is nothing to test.

An erratic boot up sequence is a strong indication of a defective hard disk because the read/write arm would have to go over every bad sector repeatedly to load a system file. Even if it fails every time and the disk will never boot successfully the boot up sequence still has to be executed regardless.

14. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

If I could enter the BIOS area and re-order the boot sequence, could I make the computer boot from the dvd drive and not the HD?

How can I access BIOS. This also has been eluding me :(

15. saikee

saikee

Your information has so far confirmed the BIos is speaking to you, right?

If the system doesn't boot up a CD then either your motherboard has suffered damage or indiscriminate the pressing of the function keys has altered the device booting sequence.

There is a Bios page that tells you which device is to be booted first, if none present the second device and then the third. What you need to do is to ensure the CD is the first device in the booting queue. If nothing happens try another bootable installation CD and has it verified on another computer.

If a good CD bootable on other PC but not on yours then your CD drive may be questionable and there is a limit you can push the computer without an operational CD drive.

16. saikee

saikee

Whenever a PC is switched on there will be a a very quick message to tell you to press a certain key for setup. The Bios page is among the setup.

Nowadays some PC also offer a device booting queue by pressing a function key like F10 or F12. You can try that too.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice