1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dklockner, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

After I replaced the battery in the motherboard (an old machine; 300MHZ) I no longer have any signal to the monitor. It worked perfectly well before the replacemant. The monitor works OK with another machine that I have so that is not the problem. I removed the video card and replaced it to no avail. Any suggestions as to what I should try to re-establish a signal?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Usually the "no signal" means that the computer is simply no longer booting up.
    The message is generated by the monitor, when it has power but nobody is home at the computer end.

Can be confusing as people then tend to blame the monitor (a bit like "shooting the messenger")

When you press the Caps Lock on the keyboard, does the light for it toggle on and off each press? This is a quick check that may indicate the computer state of operation, no light change means that the PC is just not booting.

Any beep when the PC is powered on?

Battery in up the right way?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might want to check / reseat ide cables, molex connectors, etc. It is surprising what you can knock loose while inside the case.

4. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. There is no light when I toggle the cap lock back and forth. There is no beep on startup. The battery is in just the way it came out. That is with the plus side up (away from the board). I checked all cables to see if something was loose. I checked the RAM to make sure it was in place. Any other ideas?

5. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I checked and reset all cables, RAM chips, cards, etc. to see if anything was loose--nothing loose. No beep on startup. The hard drive light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Did you ground yourself before you touched your motherboard?

7. rbltech

rbltech

is you processor seated in? if not lock it down and try again.

8. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

Yes! I did ground myself before the surgery.

9. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

Yes, the processor is down tight.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Rob
    May be a stupid suggestion but have your tried putting back the old battery and see if it works...

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pop the new battery out and check the contacts on the board. I have seen some that corrode. As triple6 posted, try the old battery. BTW you can boot a board without a cmos battery installed, so I tend to think something was knocked loose or possibly static electricity caused some problem.

12. dklockner

dklockner Thread Starter

Problem solved! I poped the battery out and reinstalled the old one and voila I got a signal. (incidentally that was a good question) Then on restart nothing happened so I removed the battery and used some crocus cloth to shine up the points on the board and also the battery. On reinstallation with the new battery, it booted to setup. After setting the parameters it continued to a full boot. We are back in business.
    Thanks guys for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!dklockner

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice