1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard being replaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdy, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdy

jdy Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. This last weekend I started it up as usual and when it was done booting up I noticed that it was running from the battery. Thinking that a/c cord was unplugged I reached around to check it out. However the a/c cord was plugged in. I did notice though that it was wobbly. I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times and it kept running off of the battery. So I called the Dell tech support and after telling them all of this they determined the motherboard was bad so they are sending the parts and a tech person to my house to fix it. I have two questions though.

1) Why does the whole motherboard need to be replaced?

2)Will I lose anything on my harddrive, or do I need to do anything while I have some battery left so that I don't lose anything?
    Thanks for the help.

2. mobo

mobo

If they replace the motherboard with the same model then you shouldn't have any troubles.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

The power connector for the Dell is part of the motherboard and the field techs don't do onboard repairs. Its much faster just to swap out the board also. And as Mobo said there is nothing you need to do and you should not lose anything. By the way is the green light on the power adaptor coming on?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice