1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard / case compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neerdeth, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neerdeth

Neerdeth Thread Starter

I have an EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188025 that I'm trying to put in a Dell Studio XPS 9100/435 case. The MB light comes on and the case power button light comes on. When i press the button, nothing happens (fans don't turn). I have one extra 2pin connector that has a red & white wire and I'm unable to tell where it goes on the MB. Is this MB compatible with this case?

Thanks for the help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Dell stuff is proprietary ie made to dell's specs and NOT industry standard specs. While you can sometimes get a standard type mb to fit a dell case, you usually have to do at least some engineering to make it work.

In short if you are going to use a standard mb [which you may have already fried by attempting to use a dell case] get a regular atx type case.

At this point, I would pull the board out of the case and attempt an out of the case build to see if you damaged the board.

3. smokedcrystal

smokedcrystal

Where you able to make it work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!