1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Motherboard changed, any way to recover old files?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chertoff, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

Hello there.

Recently I changed my motherboard and processor. In this process, I haven't lost the files in my various hard drives but there is an issue.

I used to have two user accounts, namely 'Administrator' and 'Home'. The engineer which changed the motherboard saved the documents, files and pictures of 'Home' user but didn't save the documents of 'Administrator' user.

Is there any way I can have the My Documents, Pictures and some files of the 'Administrator' user account even after the motherboard has changed?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Files aren't saved on a motherboard; they're saved on the attached drives. Did he do anything to change the drives in any way, e.g. reinstall the OS?

3. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

Yep, he reinstalled the OS apparently.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, if the OS has been re-installed then the files saved under the Administrator profile will be gone.

5. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

Okay. Though he backed up the other profile's files, would it be anyhow possible to get the files of Administrator profile as well?

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If he only backed up the other profile and didn't back up the Administrator profile, the answer's "no".

Chertoff likes this.
  7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, if he (the engineer) had know that this Administrator account was being used for files and etc. But since no one told them it was being used, there is no reason even consider it. And now no one can not go back to the old system and get them.

If there is a Windows.old folder on the system now, the administrator file and folders just may be there.

This just another reason to never use the built in Administrator account as a normal account.
    It is to be used ONLY to get in and fix things that one can not with the normal Admin type of account.

Chertoff and lochlomonder like this.
  8. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

That's pretty much right. Apparently I should have backed up the data and/or inform the engineer.

Thanks for your assistance Iochlomonder and DaveA.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice