1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Motherboard changed, any way to retrieve my old files again?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chertoff, Sep 16, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

Hello there.

Recently I changed my motherboard and processor. In this process, I haven't lost the files in my various hard drives but there is an issue.

I used to have two user accounts, namely 'Administrator' and 'Home'. The engineer which changed the motherboard saved the documents, files and pictures of 'Home' user but didn't save the documents of 'Administrator' user.

Is there any way I can have the My Documents, Pictures and some files of the 'Administrator' user account even after the motherboard has changed?

I'm using Windows 7.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Was the drive formatted/secure erased or was the old windows install used?
    Can you see the administer account and or login as admin and access the files?

3. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

Well he installed a new OS upon the PC and I honestly have no idea by which he formatted. I can try asking him though if you guide me what to ask.

Now there's no administrator account since he reinstalled Windows.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well there is an admin account however you do not see it. In order to see it, you have to edit the registry. To answer your question, it may be possible however highly unlikely that you can recover files. The more you have used the system the less of a chance you can recover anything.
    You can try running data recovery software like recuva [free download] however as I said, there is very little hope.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. Chertoff

Chertoff Thread Starter

I guess so. Well..I'll give it a try. I should just be careful the next time I format my PC.

Thanks for your help! Very appreciated.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have a saying; "Data you do not have multiple copies of is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data"
    All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. In addition, there are so many instances of wiping the wrong drive, formatting the wrong drive, deleting the wrong file, etc, etc.
    With a backup, it is no problem; simply restore the data files. Done.

Chertoff likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice