Motherboard Changed - Blue Screen Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

luvthesnapper

so, i got a new motherboard because my old one died, and installed it today. it sees my processor and my ssd and dvd drives just fine, though im getting a blue screen error when it tries to start windows. "windows shut down to not cause damage, if its your first time seeing this reset." sata is set to boot from ide, which i had to change to correct, so thats not the issue.

tried to reset, and same error. whats going on?

i5-2500k
msi z77a-g45
550 watt xfx psu
no gpu installed yet
2 gb g-skill ram

TerryNet

Terry
You installed XP (which service pack level?) and it seemed to go OK until it seemed to be finished except for one final reboot?

luvthesnapper

no, this was the ssd drive that was running before my motherboard died. i just switched out the motherboard, plugged the drive back in, and fired it up. it has service pack 3 on the drive with windows. i forgot to mention i booted from my windows cd, and tried a repair on the c drive windows installation, and while it did finish, it didnt fix anything. still blue screen error when the system tries to load windows.

TerryNet

Terry
Most times you will not be able to boot with the chipset drivers installed for a different motherboard. Pretty sure you will need to install the OS.

luvthesnapper

you mean reinstall windows to the ssd? im not sure if there is enough space to install a new copy of windows, next to the old copy. can i delete the old windows installation, before i install the new one, from the windows disc?

TerryNet

Terry
No need to delete--just install over the old installation.

luvthesnapper

my windows cd boots right to windows, from the cd. there is no installation option. it just jumps right to loading windows, then blue screen errors. how do i reinstall from the cd?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online