1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Chipset Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CDBongo, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

I am considering upgrading my computer.
    I am looking at either keeping my current board, and putting a new video card, ram and cpu in. Or getting a new am2 board and putting a cpu and ram in.

I am looking at this motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
    I like it because it has integrated dvi geforce 6150 graphics, but gives no details on it.
    I would like to know, how much ram does this integrated graphics have, does the 6150's perform well for moderate, low-res gaming, and would it be better than a geforce 4 mx4000 pci graphics card with 64mb ram? (which is what i have right now)

I would have $50 more to blow on a new motherboard if i went that route because i could sell my old 775 board (with reg ddr and agp 8X)

I know that i would get better performance benifets if i stayed with my current board and got a 9600xt 256mb radeon agp card, but how much of a benifet would it be, and would it be worth sacrificing a little performance to get better upgradebility?

Thanks

2. erick295

erick295

I don't think I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer it.

If you want to buy that board because it has integrated video, then don't. Integrated video is not as good as having a separate card, mostly because it uses your system's memory instead of its own. So I guess the answer is no, but like I said, I don't really know what you're asking.

3. acameron

acameron

I would go with the new MB and CPU and then add to it from there. The 9600 would be OK but you would be much better off with the new AM2 and PCI-E system.

Being it has the integrated Sound and Graphics you will have the flexibility of waiting for the deals you want on the graphics and sound cards, potentially allowing you to save a TON of $$. I do not know how well the integrated 6150 will run but I would guess that if you put enough RAM on the board ( >1024MB) it will be ok for a temporary solution.

The one thing I would do if it was me, would be to go with a different MB mfg. that has a similar board. I have been hearing allot about the quality of ASUS's products getting worse lately and a lack of customer support. JMHO.

My personal preference is Gigabyte, (I know others will share their personal favorites) here is one of their boards with the 6100 onboard video.....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128009

Acctually, looking at them side by side, the Gigabyte has 8 cahnnel sound (ASUS has 6) and the Gigabyte has a COM port and 1 IEEE port (ASUS has 1 IEEE and no COM port), The only other major difference is that the Gigabyte has a Max RAM of 4GB instead of 8, but I can't see how you could ever need more than 4 GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM running in Dual Channel Mode :D.................... and the Gigabyte board is cheaper (y) Otherwise they are pretty much the same board....same # of open PCI and PCI-E slots and USB ports.........

4. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Thanks, thats exactly what i needed to hear.
    Today i got a graphics card that is better than my old one but still crappy (look at my specs)
    So that should be able to tide me over until i get a new graphics card (be it agp or pci-e)

But, for the price of a am2 motherboard, a cheap sempron cpu, 512mb ddr2 ram.
    I can get a dual core processor, 256mb agp video card, and one gig of ram.

OR i could get a sli motherboard, athlon 64 cpu, 1gb ddr2 ram, and a (much better) 256mb pci-e card for about $200 more.

It lookes to me to be about the same performance, as the dual core processor will make up for the speed lack of the agp and ddr1.

Unless there is some DRASTIC speed or upgradeibility improvement with the am2, i will just upgrade my current system.

Also, why is it that intel's dual core cpus are so much cheaper than amd's? And are the amd cpus that are in the same price range as intel's dual core cpus equal in performance despite the lack of another core (ie. is an intel 3.0ghz with 4mb cache $224 even comparable to a 3500+ 2.2ghz with 512kb cache $220?)

Thanks to whoever has read my confused question!

5. acameron

acameron

Well the Drastic part would be that the AM2 is the newest Socket type for AMD. This translates into the abilty to upgrade the processor (and more options for doing so as well) for a much longer period of time. PCI-E instead of AGP helps in this dept as well, being AGP has been replaced by PCI-E as the new standard. It is going to get harder and more expensive to find good AGP cards. This all helps in "Futureproofing" your PC.

6. GripS

GripS

Currently the dual core intel chips don't keep up with AMD dual core's. That's all about to change when 'conroe' (new core from intel) is released.

7. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

yeah, thats what i was thinking, the conroe is kicking butt on the fx-62 in the benchmarks.
    will the conroe use the current socket 775 boards?
    or should i hold out and opt for the next "socket" that supports the conroe, to even better "futerproof" my pc?

8. GripS

GripS

Well. The Conroes will be expensive on initial release but they will also be VERY fast so you get what you pay for i guess. Not sure about the socket. I do know that it will use a different chipset so you will need to buy a new motherboard to use it regardless.

9. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Okay, I've done some research, and found that there are two chipsets that support conroe, and very few motherboards at that, I wasn't planning on buying one anyway because it would be WAYY out of my pr, so it all comes down to what i can get for cheap, and i am looking at am2 with a 3500+ or 775 with a 2.66 p4d. But i think that things will change even from now to when i decide to upgrade. Hopefully my patience will pay off.

10. GripS

GripS

I honestly think it will(being patient). It looks like Intel has finally made a good decision in only requiring a BIOS update for the current motherboards that would support it. Initial reviews show AM2 to be merely a DDR2 support upgrade rather then a real world performance upgrade. AMD needs to make a dramatic change otherwise the ground they have made up on Intel thus far would be lost. I have been an AMD fan since the release of the AMD64's and it pains me to see the Intel giant once again claim the performance crown. Needless to say competition is always good and we the consumers benefit in the end.

11. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

????? The conroe prices i have seen have been $300 for an e6600 (2.4ghz) and $550 for the 2.7.
    Thats a little more than the pentium d's I have been looking at, and the conroe is supposed to have revolutionary performance...
    ...for a decent price
    And they are supposed to bring other cpus down in price?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice